Need some help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NvrDwn

Nov 15, 2020
Virginia
I want verification that this is a ventless gas log set. I have a wood burning chimney that is capped at the top opening. Will this work for us??

Thanks.

20211003_183632.jpg

Why are you dead set on a vent less setup? I don't understand the logic of burning a fuel inside a home to vent the carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, moisture and other combustion by-products into the home. In Canada such an appliance is completely illegal and for good reason.

Why are you dead set on a vent less setup? I don't understand the logic of burning a fuel inside a home to vent the carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, moisture and other combustion by-products into the home. In Canada such an appliance is completely illegal and for good reason.
The carbon monoxide is very very little compared to a normal log set. It is so small it's considered safe. No vent means more heat is utilized to warm the house instead of the air outside my chimney. It does add moisture but my dehumidifier takes care of that problem.

The carbon monoxide is very very little compared to a normal log set. It is so small it's considered safe. No vent means more heat is utilized to warm the house instead of the air outside my chimney. It does add moisture but my dehumidifier takes care of that problemVent
Vent free units save the user, a LOT of money.
Increased heating efficiency, and you wont live as long!
For me, i prefer to pay my heating bill, instead of spending it on asthma meds.

Reactions: bholler
I dont see the problem with them. Especially if you use a gas stove. Same thing really.
"SAME THING?" You don't see a problem with the number of people who die from CO poisoning when they
try to heat their homes with the kitchen gas stove or with a gas grill?

I dont see the problem with them. Especially if you use a gas stove. Same thing really.
In a way, yes they work the same way. They will burn up the oxygen in your house, and produce carbon dioxide. Last i checked, that is exactly what me and you do when we breathe. So they are in direct competition with us for oxygen.
So if you run your oven for an hour, you might be fine with that amount of oxygen taken from the room. But do as you want....

I will jump in here to back up what the other 2 pros are saying. House vented appliances are just not a good idea.

"SAME THING?" You don't see a problem with the number of people who die from CO poisoning when they
try to heat their homes with the kitchen gas stove or with a gas grill?
When the stove is used as it should be there is no harm. The same can be said with the fireplace. It cuts its self on when the temp gets cool, then off when it gets to its set point. That on top of it burning better or "cleaner" there is no issue.

When the stove is used as it should be there is no harm. The same can be said with the fireplace. It cuts its self on when the temp gets cool, then off when it gets to its set point. That on top of it burning better or "cleaner" there is no issue.
Keep telling yourself that. If they are THAT safe, why is it a code violation to install one in a bedroom. Why are they not approved in ALL of Canada? You don't want to listen to ANY of us. I for one am done with this one, & I am shutting it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.