need some info. for new installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jh409

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2009
Southern IN
Hello-

I will soon be installing my new wood stove ( Englander 13) with a SuperVent support kit and chimney I purchased at Lowe's. My question: It appears that I purchased the ceiling support kit for a standard ceiling, but I have a cathedral-type ceiling. It is mandatory to purchase the cathedral ceiling support bracket to properly install? If so, would it be possible to purchase just the ceiling support and use the other stuff I already have to complete the installation? Pic. of ceiling attached. Thanks from a new, soon-to-be wood burning guy.

Attachments

• 100_0988.JPG
    100_0988.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 376
just depends on the looks, i have seen ppl use flat ceiling kits on cathedral ceilings. you will just have a box hanging down from the ceiling. if you got a kit its best to exchange if for the rite one (if you can). i will admit, to me, the kit doesnt look bad.

Which part number is the ceiling support box? If it's the kind that is framed in between the joists, then I don't think it would work. The class A support would be at the angle of the roof. With a cathedral support box, the support bottom is parallel with the floor. That is how you want the class A exiting through the roof.

I have a cathedral ceiling also and I got most of my chimney stuff from Lowe's . I looked at using the regular kit [on the shelf rather than ordering] but I couldn't picture it looking right since it would exit at an angle . The cathedral box is adjustable to any angle and it's easier to cut a square hole , too . If you will have much chimney above the roof , be sure to get the roof support kit that fits in under the flashing .

Don't compromise by buying the in-stock pieces and kits. Special order the correct parts as you will always admire your work for the best safety, function and appearance.

Review the on-line and printed catalogs of some of the best suppliers:

http://www.selkirkcorp.com/metalbestos/

http://www.duravent.com/?page=6a.php

You will never regret those few extra bucks in your largest asset, your home. Do it right!

Thanks for the information, folks. The part # is JSC6DCSP, and it is the flat ceiling support kit. I want it to be a safe install and look great, so I will be returning this kit and having them order the one for a cathedral ceiling. This site has a lot of information; I based my decision to buy the Englander of the comments of other users! It looks like a nicely-built stove and the price seemed good (about $600 last month).

Yeah, you need the right ceiling support kit. If you use the one for a regular (flat) ceiling, you'll have to frame in a box to give you a level place to mount it.

The flat ceiling support has to be level. It won't work if it isn't, because the pipe has to pass through it straight up and down.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.