Need to know the name of a skidding tool.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Microduck17

Burning Hunk
Dec 21, 2017
New Concord Ohio
I saw a skidding tool in the northern tool catalog a long time ago, probably 15 years or more ago. It was an L shaped chunk of steel with the short end of the L being ponted and made to drive into logs and the long end had a clevis or ring for attaching a chain or cable. It was meant to be driven into the end of a log for skidding. Anybody seen anything like this? What is it called?

Not a peavy this was solid steel around a foot long . It was meant to be driven into the log with a hammer near one end and be used as an attachment point for a chain for skidding the log behind a tractor or other vehicle.

Are you talking about the old log dog hooks? If so, you can still find some on eBay once in a while. Not sure if anyone makes them anymore.

I would think that a pair of log tongs could be taken apart and used. They are readily available

Reactions: LiamFitzpatrick
My blacksmith friend is working on a set of tongs for me. Im thinking of having him make me a set of drive in hooks to allow skidding several logs at once without a lot of chain wrapping. But yeah i could take some store bought tongs apart. I think they are a little too long. Would have to cut them down some and weld on a ring or grab hook.