Need to move heat to a lower floor... Need suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swankyfrank

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2007
Northern Delaware
Okay, I have a two story 4 bedroom colonial and a Harman Exception woodstove that works GREAT. My probelm is, that while the stove will heat the entire house, (too hot usually) the basement, where my family room and work room are, is still ice cold. The family room is directly under the room with the stove.

I have heard about a downdraft heating vent kit for moving heat to a lower floor, but have been unable to locate anything on the net. Anybody have a link? or other suggestions? Moving the stove to the lower floor is not an option.

Thanks for all your help!

Frank

This topic has been discussed extensively. Basically the answer is no. Its impossible. If you find a way, i would love to do it too. Sorry.

If you installed a closed duct witha fan to pull down to the basement and then had he duct terminate in location away from the door it would set up circulation. Hot air pulled down and then would rise. Evenutally, it would be warmer. Same idea as central heat.

SF, see the other very recent threads on this. The stove is an area heater, not a whole house furnace. How about adding some electric space heating downstairs? Or would adding a separate zone to the central heating system work?

Just jog around the washer and dryer for a good 1/2 hour and that should do it. :lol:

Does anyone know what home situation requires the most carbon monoxide responses from the fire depts?

Ps I want to develop this post and not scare off all readers all at once. This will be another not well received answer, unfortunately it is true

"Does anyone know what home situation requires the most carbon monoxide responses from the fire depts?"

The installation of CO detectors.

Ignorance.

i know a sure fire way to get the heat into the basement

put a stove down there!!!!!
anything else is just spinning your wheels.

heat wants to rise, forcing it down is like wrestling with a greased pig. it flat dont wanna be down there! for heat to be down there it has to be created down there.

the number one response for carbon monoxide call to the FD is from Autos, usually having rooms over garages

Status
Not open for further replies.