need to seal the stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atcomo

Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2009
Shirley,LI
Need to seal the stove pipe coming from my wood stove. Cannot find any high temp
foil tape. Can someone recommend which foil tape I can use & where I can
purchase it. The tape I am currently using looses its adhesive power &
fall away
Thank you

There is no foil tape of which I'm aware that's suitable for use on stovepipe. Stovepipe joints are sealed if necessary using furnace cement. Tell us about your stove and the setup and why the stovepipe needs to be sealed. If it's installed correctly, and is decent pipe, it should require little or no sealing. Rick

you should not have to seal the joints. At any time you should be able to hold a match to the joint and the flame should be sucked into the joint.

Last Summer I was at the home of a guy who has been burning wood for 35 years. I noticed that he sealed the pipe joints, but I didn't ask why (I should have). My stove pipe has a big gap where it connects to the stove (6 inch round double wall pipe). I wasn't sure, but I decided to stuff some stove gasket material in there (which I did) and my draft improved quite a bit. I was also thinking about using stove cement to increase the draft some more. The pipe has a 90 degree bend to a tee out and I think I need all the draft I can get. Any opinions? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.