need tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magoo0512

Jul 18, 2016
Western ny
Have the opportunity to scrounge a couple truckloads of this that I believe to be Hickory can anyone just confirm it for me by the pictures grabbed a couple pieces and tried to leave some leaves on to help identify. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160822_082201.jpg
    20160822_082201.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 284
  • 20160822_082219.jpg
    20160822_082219.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 20160822_082210.jpg
    20160822_082210.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 293
  • 20160822_083451.jpg
    20160822_083451.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 256
Looks good to me, pignut probably

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hickory was the first thing that came to my mind before I read your details.

Yes I believe this fellas are spot on with Hickory, great stuff! It should be very heavy.....

Hickory nice find
;)
sent from my desk top using a key board ==c

Thanks for the quick responses. funny that you say how it should be heavy. It was the first thing I noticed when I started lifting the rounds into the truck

Hickory. I am not sure what kind, but who cares? The wood of all hickories is pretty similar, and very good firewood.

I'm sure it's not pignut or shagbark hickory. I'm not seeing the "X" pattern in the bark like in bitternut hickory.

I think it's hickory also, but which one? o_O

That looks like pignut or bitternut hickory, especially based on the smooth and glossy leaves that rule out mockernut. Can you post an image of the buds? If they're not round and dark (i.e. pignut) then it is bitternut, which has sulphur-colored buds that are elongated.
The bark can be tough given the age, position on the tree, and (most importantly) how vigorous the tree is growing. A hickory that has lots of moisture and grows well will have tighter bark on wider branches/stems.
I used to teach dendrology (tree ID) at Penn State, the hickories are tough to tell apart! Buds, husks, topographic position, etc. are needed for the absolute ID on some trees.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Oh, where are you at in Western NY?

As mentioned above, and regardless of the exact species, be sure to stack/split this one well and burn it on your coldest nights. You'll really enjoy the heat that the incredibly dense hickories can produce.

Thanks for the wealth of information everyone. PA Forester your practically an encyclopedia about trees. Thats why i love this sight. So many people from different walks of life all willing to help. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.