Need Woodstock AS help, at wits end.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I know OP is already over it, but the one thing I didn't see answered anywhere here is how big the splits are? These things seem to like 'em chunky.
I know I have read of others having similar issues from wood split too small, which can cause more rapid off gassing and firebox/cat being overwhelmed...especially if the MC is really low like the <15% that OP mentioned.

And once again. all this talk of low draft/high draft and nobody suggest buying an inexpensive meter to test it...that would have probably happened on the first page if this was posted in the boiler room.

Reactions: moresnow
Suggested at the beginning of page 2 but the thread went off on tangents. After all the hassles, I'm surprised Woodstock didn't require this.

I have a Woodstock AS. I’ve had it since they’ve come out. I love the company and the concept of the stove. The problem is probably me and I am too dumb a wood burner to figure things out. I have had all sorts of problems and I’m ready to give up on it and get rid of it. Frustrated! Need a simple noncat stove with an air control and that’s it.
Long story. In the second year with it, I noticed the secondary burn grate warped. Wood stock said it’s designed to flex. Then the metal warped at the bypass gasket channel. I don’t think I overburned it as it burned 500-550 STT until it warped and started reaching STT temps of 600-625. I brought it and it got repaired.
Burned it for another year and a half after that. Again it broke near the bypass channel. Again, I don’t think I overburned it, as the STT temps were 500-550. The stove got fixed again.
Another problem I had is I had condensation in the chimney on a cold start, so much so that it dripped back in through the thimble and I needed to build a dam inside to prevent it with refractory cement.
Before this burning season, I had the chimney lined with 6 inch preinsulated liner and I put in a fresh air intake. No more condensation. I think the fresh air intake was a mistake, but I put it in based on advice of people from forums. The STT temps were climbing to 600 a few times, and Woodstock says that’s potential warping temps. I disconnected the fresh air intake on advice of my chimney sweep to see what would happen.
Right now, on a hot reload, I can close the bypass almost immediately with the STT temp at least 250, shut the air down to half way between 0and 1 and the STT temps will reach 500-550 at peak.
But another problem I’m having is sudden ignition of secondaries, so much that it startles me when it happens. This happens even after I have cleaned the cat with vinegar and water, and I’m confident I didn’t shut the air down too quickly.
I’ve played with a key damper in the pipe to see if that helps, wondering if potential overdraft. But I’m not sure that is the answer. Seems to burn too low, and then I was using it and it had sudden ignition of gasses and smoke came out every orifice it could and scared the Dickens out of me. Wondering if something is broken somewhere, but I can’t figure it out. I don’t notice anything (other than the warped/flexed secondary burn grate/not sure if this would cause a problem).
This evening, I built a top down fire on a cold start. Let the pipe temp get to above 250, closed the air to just below 3, let STT temps get above 350, then chit the air to 2. Pipe temp rose to 325 and STT to 500. When it came out of cat mode, it came out with sudden ignition of gasses a little hard. Went back into cat mode, again came out a little hard but okay. Then back to cat mode, then came out with a “whoosh” that’s enough to scare you .
I’m about to give up.
Hi Chris, did you ever resolve the problems with you absolute steel? I have an ideal steel and have the same exact back puffing issue. I’m also very frustrated with this stove.

It's possible that your issue is entirely different, though the detective work and questions asked to figure out why may be the same.

How new is the stove and what is the internal moisture content of the firewood?

It seems to be the exact same issue with the backpuffing. My stove is about 3/4 years old. I am currently burning ash that has been seasoned for 2 years. Sub 20% for sure. I haven’t tested it recently, but I stack and cover my wood properly

I wonder what eventually transpired with Chris1979 and his AS.

I was about to order one, and now I think I will look elsewhere. A modern and intricately designed stove failing in under 8 or 10 years is my main concern. This is confirming my concerns.

I hope the OP got some satisfaction.