Needing confirmation on my idea.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

diyZACH

Oct 28, 2023
Salem oregon
First time homeowner for 2 years now. Wanting to save some money in the long run and want to use my insert i just got as a primary heat source. Just picked up a country PERFORMER CA-210 for $150. Epa certified and seems like its in good condition. Trim pieces also included
26E96A07-6706-4CD2-B601-6998035F3081.png

Going with a insulated liner and understand everything should be stainless steel thats not seen. I have questions though. There is no collar on the insert there’s just a hole on topThe 6” “port”on my insert isn’t recessed much from the face of my brick and on top of that the chimney isn’t a vertical straight shot. After the damper its angle slightly back until the straight part of the chimney. I say this because when i slide my liner in it will have a slight curve at the bottom. The angle of the liner and the lack recess of the insert wont allow me to connect to a regular connector. I found this 45 degree stainless elbow. Not adjustable. Heard thats not the best anyways.
4D0D1A12-6FAF-4609-8626-22FEF95D8C10.png
My question is: Can I directly connect this elbow to my insert and connect my liner to that? Will that angle affect draw that much? Is it not code? I live in oregon and plan to get this inspected to keep in house whenever we sell. Also is a block off plate necessary for me? Worth it to get a outlet put in there so I don’t see the blower cord? I also was thinking furnace cement on the elbow to seal it then stainless L brackets to secure it. Let me know what you guys think. I haven’t installed a fireplace before but I am handy and do a lot of diy stuff.

That's a good insert and a great price. They make these elbows in 15º and 30º also.
https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/products/fixed-elbow-for-flexible-liners
This may make for a better fit.

Country recommended a gasket sealer ring for attachment. Check with an IronStrike dealer to see if still available.
Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 11.59.53 AM.png

A block-off plate helps keep the heat from going up the chimney. This helps heat output, especially with exterior wall fireplaces.

I think i found that connector ring. Doesn’t show a picture which would help but its description is identical. I think a 30 degree would still work. Ill plan on a block off plate. Saw some people even add insulation to them. I also heard of people insulating the top near the top cap for a couple feet down. Is that needed with the use of a block off plate?

Insulating above the block-off plate is common, up top less so, and not necessary with a fully insulated liner.