needing info on a compact tool set

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
some of the prices I'm seeing are ridiculous. I'm looking for a good set but I'm not paying 100+. Would like to have one with broom,poker,log grabber and shovel. tia

I am sorry but if you want a good set I think you will be paying 100+

Check the thrift stores. My wife has brought home a couple $100+ sets for about $5 each.

I think really it is more about what you want. You can make your own functional set for next to nothing if you have some resources and ability. I started with very simple tools that functioned, that I made myself. In fact, I still have a small shovel that fits nicely into my small fireboxes to remove ashes. I made it myself a long time ago. Nothing out there in the marketplace could replace it. I do have a nice heavy short set that I bought a few years ago. I looked for many years before I found the ones I wanted. The kitchen stove, I use a set I modified by shortening everything. Most of the marked stuff I find to be to long. Mine are all 18 in.

About now all of the nice tool sets you could ever want are on sale at Lowe's and Home Depot while they are clearing out the space for lawn mowers.

I have a gorgeous one that I never use sitting beside the stove just because it was marked down from $99 to $15 at Lowe's in March.

Last year I was in the market that you are describing.

I didn't find anything, and then someone here told me all they really used was a metal dustpan and broom set (for ashes) and a single welding glove for adding wood and moving things around.

This combination has worked really well for me.

metal dustpan and broom set (for ashes) and a single welding glove for adding wood and moving things around.

That is what i use also

Not sure that I would call it a top quality set, but when I started burning I purchased a compact set of tools .... brush, poker and shovel ... from northlineexpress.com. Tools aren't heirloom quality, but they work fine for my use.

I think it's a buyer's market in compact FP tools. I put this set on CL in December for $12 and no takers. LOL

needing info on a compact tool set

Taking the calls, giving directions, meeting idiots that want to talk down the price. Be glad you had no takers for twelve bucks., ;lol

Taking the calls, giving directions, meeting idiots that want to talk down the price. Be glad you had no takers for twelve bucks.,

That's a real nice way of saying it

Functional can be had on the cheap - but they will be cheap and made in??? Quality, hand made, custom sets that work great for you and YOUR stove(some need to be deeper like mine for the NC30) will cost you. Unless you are fortunate enough to have access to a forge, anvils, hammers and all thing steel fabrication - then they are cheap. Like the sets I have made for myself and peers.

I would charge a whole lot more than 100 for a complete set of one off tools. I would have more than that in propane just fabricating them.

A parallel hand brush and dust pan is what I use for hearth clean up

Status
Not open for further replies.