Needing some guidance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CMullis

Aug 17, 2023
Kentucky
I recently bought a Country Hearth stove (2000 Model) and have some questions about clearances. I am wanting to build a non-combustible wall out of 29 gauge sheet metal and 1 inch spacers over my current wall, as I see that you can reduce clearances up to 67% using this method. However, I am confused by the fact that for double wall pipe you only need a 6 inch clearance, but in the manual it is saying I need 16.5 to 21 inches of clearance for the double wall pipe. Why is this?
image.jpg

This is because the stove clearance requirements are larger. Regrettably, the manual's documentation does not permit clearance reduction with wall shielding. There should be a sentence in the manual allowing this. If it did have this statement, then the minimal clearance with a proper NFPA 211 wall shield would be 12". Contact the manufacturer and see if you can get this exception in writing.