Neighbor complaint of smoke odor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It’s where you live, so tread lightly with the property manager of course. You should have no visible smoke once cat engaged. I live not far at all from you and, like I said above, haven’t even considered opening a window. Like others have said, make some reasonable changes to ensure cleanest burn. I do feel for you though bc it sounds like they apartment building runs too warm, requiring windows to be open-which of course should not be your issue, but I get it. Good luck.

Reactions: Ludlow and Smolder
Guys why do you think it is so odd or that something has to be wrong with the apartment building for people to open their window on a nice day in the winter? I do it most days that are upper 50s for a little bit to get some fresh air in the house.

• Wow
Reactions: Smolder
Guys why do you think it is so odd or that something has to be wrong with the apartment building for people to open their window on a nice day in the winter? I do it most days that are upper 50s for a little bit to get some fresh air in the house.
I hear you. Barring a couple of days this winter here in this area, our mild winter has looked a lot more like days in the low to mid 40s as an average as opposed to temps getting up to the near 60° which would cause people to wanna open windows. These neighbors could be making those complaints based on those one or two warm days for sure. If, however, the neighbors are making complaints based on days that are in the 40s, I still feel like that would be an issue that the OP can’t control other than of course making sure he’s burning clean as possible.

Reactions: bholler
It’s almost exactly the same... wood can be used legally, some hate the smell, pot can be used legally, some hate the smell. I personally find the smell of wood nice, but I can’t stand the smell of pot despite having smoked plenty of it when I was younger.
I get that but the question of pot smell was just made up and has absolutely nothing to do with the original post. And I don't mind the smell of wood smoke but I have to say I wouldn't be happy if my neighbor was smoking us out with a woodstove

I get that but the question of pot smell was just made up and has absolutely nothing to do with the original post. And I don't mind the smell of wood smoke but I have to say I wouldn't be happy if my neighbor was smoking us out with a woodstove

Yup... I deleted my comment to help stay on topic. What the OP really has to worry about is the inevitable asthma claim (everyone has that now despite not smoking, cleaner air than ever, etc).

Burn tires for a week. After that they will welcome the wood!! Haha.
Seriously I might add one section just to show your a good neighbor.
If they still complain.... my go to hobby of tuning two stroke dirtbikes will also shine light onto how some wood smoke odor isn’t so bad! I might look for an old diesel truck to idle at your fence line for a couple of days!! Good luck, keep us posted.

You get 5 gold stars, for a well written post with great photos.

Reactions: Ludlow
Hello,

I had my stove and chimney professionally installed in fall 2015. I have a Blaze King Sirocco SC20 with about 13' of insulated double wall pipe from the stove to the cap. I have a shallow roof peak and the chimney only extends one section above the roof (48"). I'm burning 3 years seasoned ~15% moisture content red oak, maple, and ash. I haven't had any issues running the stove the past few years, and have minimal visible smoke once the bypass is closed and the catalyst is working. I have noticed that here is sometimes a slight smoke odor in the yard depending on where the wind is blowing.

Today I was approached by one of the live in property managers at an apartment building about 100' behind my house. Apparently due to our unseasonably warm temperatures people have been opening their upstairs windows in the winter, at the same time that I am running the stove (I am a 24/7 winter burner). They are getting smoke odor coming in through their open windows and are hoping I can do something to reduce the odor. The property manager suggested adding more chimney sections to raise the cap height so that the smoke odor will hopefully go over the building. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts on this are. He said it is only an issue when the wind blows from the north (the apartment building is to my south). He also claimed that some residents want to complain to the town about it but he wanted to talk to me first. The entire install was permitted and inspected with everything to code.

Here are some pictures from last year when I was on the roof to do some work:

This view is to the north east, where you can see all the houses are well below the flue height. I haven't had any issues in this direction:
View attachment 256199

Here is to the south, with the apartment building in sight on the right. You can see the windows facing my house:
View attachment 256200

Here's another view facing south:
View attachment 256201

Lastly, here is how the stack looks from the street in front of the house:
View attachment 256202

What does everyone think about adding more pipe? Would it be helpful? Based on my pictures it seems like the current stack height is roughly in line with the height of the apartment building. I know I'm probably going to need a roof brace to extend it further. He was suggesting possibly adding two sections (going from 48" to 144" above the roof line).

Thanks for any help or input.
i don't think adding more pipe will completely resolve the issue. quite often overnight, temperature inversions will set in, and this will create poor venting of anything at the surface (i.e. your smoke exhaust) and trap it near the ground until the inversion breaks (sometime after the sun comes up and causes air mixing). if you're running the stove the best you can, and in compliance with local rules, i'd just politely thank him for his comments and carry on what you're doing.

There is always some wood smoke smell coming out even if no visible smoke can be seen. If conditions are right the exhaust will be rising up and dissipating. You dont see it, dont smell it, you believe there is none. Doesnt make it so. The notion that if you cant see any there is no smell is just flat out untrue. There is no zero emission stove.

If you wish to get along with the people at the apartment complex you will most likely be forced to limit your burning to colder days and also survey the surroundings for open windows even at that. Im afraid that is what it takes to coexist with people in this age of grievances. Wood burners are not a protected class. Its up to you to avoid offending people. It is what it is.

I didnt mean to put anyone on the defensive regarding the smoking of the pot. If that's what you like then go at it. I put up with guys "tuning" their Harley's on nice days. Even running up and down the street and it sounds like thunder from Holy Hell. I just let them do their thing. It's what it takes to get along unless you can move out away from people. Renters have a convenient person to complain to so expect anything you do to come back to you.

I'd do my best to placate the neighbors. It would be real easy for them to shut you down, in today's world. I don't like it, but Ludlow is right. The suggestions given above would be a good start.

I experience a lot of smoke for several minutes during reloads and cold starts, if I don't do a top-down start. Because of my location, there is a downdraft almost all the time. At times I can even smell the exhaust inside my own house, and it does stink.

I don't want to attract any more attention than I already do, so I do my best not to reload when the neighborhood kids are moving from bus to house and house to bus. I'm going to be more cognizant also now when it's warmer out, and folks might have windows open or are outside for a walk or working.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I took my photos to the stove installer to get a professional opinion and see what they had to say. As much as I'm sure they would love the business, two of the installers advised against increasing the stack height. They told me that it was unlikely to resolve the issue as the smoke odor is going to dissipate where it will depending on the wind direction and speed, and they did not see the point in spending the money. They stated that the installation was to code and there was no need for me to extend the stack.

I have been doing vinegar cleanings of the catalytic combustor before each burning season for the past two years, as I know the combustor is aging. I watched the stack carefully today and noticed that it took about one full hour for the smoke to completely stop after reload and the cat temperature gauge seems to increase much slower than it used to. I had the stove top around 500F and the cat temp. at the 12 o'clock position with no visible smoke. I lowered the thermostat to a low burn and went out for about an hour when I drove to the stove store. When I returned I had visible smoke again, and the cat temp. was around the 10 o'clock position (active). I just ordered a new combustor from Firecat Combustors to see if that helps.

I also took a look at the weather history for the past few weeks. This month we have had 7 days where the high temperature reached or exceeded 50F. It's 45F today and I don't see any windows open over there. I'm wondering if the aging cat plus the warmer than usual weather leading to the open windows is the issue. I haven't heard a single complaint from anyone in the past four burning seasons up until now. For the time being I'm going to avoid reloading if the wind is blowing in that direction and there are any windows open.

I am confident the new cat will improve the situation for sure. Did you order a ceramic or steel?

Thanks for all of the responses.

I took my photos to the stove installer to get a professional opinion and see what they had to say. As much as I'm sure they would love the business, two of the installers advised against increasing the stack height. They told me that it was unlikely to resolve the issue as the smoke odor is going to dissipate where it will depending on the wind direction and speed, and they did not see the point in spending the money. They stated that the installation was to code and there was no need for me to extend the stack.

I have been doing vinegar cleanings of the catalytic combustor before each burning season for the past two years, as I know the combustor is aging. I watched the stack carefully today and noticed that it took about one full hour for the smoke to completely stop after reload and the cat temperature gauge seems to increase much slower than it used to. I had the stove top around 500F and the cat temp. at the 12 o'clock position with no visible smoke. I lowered the thermostat to a low burn and went out for about an hour when I drove to the stove store. When I returned I had visible smoke again, and the cat temp. was around the 10 o'clock position (active). I just ordered a new combustor from Firecat Combustors to see if that helps.

I also took a look at the weather history for the past few weeks. This month we have had 7 days where the high temperature reached or exceeded 50F. It's 45F today and I don't see any windows open over there. I'm wondering if the aging cat plus the warmer than usual weather leading to the open windows is the issue. I haven't heard a single complaint from anyone in the past four burning seasons up until now. For the time being I'm going to avoid reloading if the wind is blowing in that direction and there are any windows open.
Sounds like you are on the right track.

I think you should take the stove installer's opinion with a grain of salt, and decide for yourself, based upon your own observations. There are some great ones around, but of the 5 that I interviewed when doing my install, one knew what he was talking about (and was way too expensive), and the other 4, let's just say, I wouldn't describe their opinions as professional.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
The purpose of the pipe extension is not to actually cure any problem but to satisfy the neighbor and hopefully stop the complaints. The extension will show that you did something, made a good faith effort, they won't know or care about the new cat. The landlord will be able to point out that you "fixed it" to the apartment dwellers.

That said, this stove requires a 15' minimum vertical stack height. Always has. Only us lowly princess owners had a 12' minimum but that has changed with the new princess models to 15' as well. The worst part about your extension is that it will require the roof braces which I find ugly and a potential roof leak source.

I agree with HB, I dont think extending will solve it but it's a show of good faith, if the new cat clears things up and you extended they'll all think the problems solved even if it's just the cat that made the difference.

Reactions: Highbeam
I went ahead and ordered a 48" section of chimney and one roof bracket. I don't see how I can add any further height as I would need a second roof bracket and I'm not sure how it would reach the roof, given that the chimney is right near the peak. The roof bracket maximum length is 114". The extra section will bring me from 13' to 17' of stack from the stove to the cap.

Tough situation, sorry you have to deal with it. I guess it's an unfortunate circumstance of having neighbors. I know I was paranoid having our stove installed (not to mention hoarding 3 years worth of wood) because I was the new guy in the neighborhood and have heard plenty of horror stories elsewhere of neighbors throwing a fit over wood burners. I lucked out though.

Let us know how it goes.

Well, the new cat will do its part, but going from 13 to 17 feet will improve draft. You’ll probably be able to turn the t-stat down a bit more than usual while still keeping the cat active. And show your neighbors you actually did something. To my eye, it’s an overall improvement of your installation, and a win/win situation.

I went ahead and ordered a 48" section of chimney and one roof bracket. I don't see how I can add any further height as I would need a second roof bracket and I'm not sure how it would reach the roof, given that the chimney is right near the peak. The roof bracket maximum length is 114". The extra section will bring me from 13' to 17' of stack from the stove to the cap.

Im kind of jealous that you will get to move from 13 to 17. I will be curious if your burning experience is much better.

Those tenants might move away or forget about this after a while and you can relax. Until then I would be careful to start fires after dark and otherwise minimize the visible smoke.

i would also really like to hear about what the additional section of chimney did for your set-up. please keep us posted! :)

Good show.

I have a good feeling about this.

You are doing the right things. Only other thing you might do is buy the property manager a bottle or case of something, both for their good will in telling you, rather than the municipality, and, for future good will. Politics...

As others have said, I have a feeling you won't be able to please these neighbors, but good choice adding the pipe section. Good luck.

Posts like these always baffle me. The smell of wood smoke outside is one thing I miss about modern stoves.

I added about 20 inches to my 15" stack and it all but eliminated back puffs and definitely helps the cat light off sooner.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I watched the stack carefully today and noticed that it took about one full hour for the smoke to completely stop after reload and the cat temperature gauge seems to increase much slower than it used to. I had the stove top around 500F and the cat temp. at the 12 o'clock position with no visible smoke. I lowered the thermostat to a low burn and went out for about an hour when I drove to the stove store. When I returned I had visible smoke again, and the cat temp. was around the 10 o'clock position (active). I just ordered a new combustor from Firecat Combustors to see if that helps....For the time being I'm going to avoid reloading if the wind is blowing in that direction and there are any windows open.
My cat's getting weak and doing pretty much the same as yours; Harder and takes longer to light, then drops out earlier on the tail end. I've been burning a little flame in the box and that seems to help. With the new cat, I think the neighbors will settle down.
I've also got a new cat coming from firecatcombustors as well. Fortunately, they had it in ceramic and it was only $90. ==c Looks like your steelie is $260. You have my condolences. <> Not sure if a ceramic is available for your stove...?