Nest thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nate379

I know someone on here talking about the Nest a while back and I thought it was crazy to drop $250 on a T Stat.

Well I ended up buying one a few weeks ago and I've been happy with it. The main problem I was having with my cheapish T Stats was they were terribly inaccurate and caused quite a temp swing.

Side by side with the nest, my old T Stat would say it's 70* while the nest read 75*. Also confirmed the nest was correct with another digital T Stat.

Also there was a 3-4* swing on the old one I couldn't adjust (was digtal) It never worked great for the floor heat since 4* temp is a BIG difference when I can get maybe 1-2* temp raise in an hour.

It would get cold in the house at night, boiler run almost all night and then once the sun was out it's pushing near 80*. With the nest I am not having this problem.

I'm not sure what the buy back in terms of savings is, but just the comfort was worth it. I checked at the box stores and for a decent quality T Stat I was looking at the $100-150 area anyhow.

Another really nice feature is I can lock out the T Stat, so my renter doesn't screw with it and crank the heat or lower it (had this happen before) and I can control all the settings through the web as well.

Leave the house for 2-3 weeks on a trip in the winter? I can turn the heat to 45-50*, and then the day before returning, just sign on the webpage and set it to 68* and have a warm house when I get home.

I have 4 heating zones in my house, so I plan on buying 2 more nest thermostats when I have a bit of "extra" money. I put the one I got in the living room which is the largest heating zone. I'll likely leave the garage tstat alone as it gets fairly beat up from greasy hands and sparks/dust from welding or grinding flying around.

I read it this morning before work... Sounds great. But my t-stats are all working and not cheap (wireless Skytech on Quadrafire was $120 and Hunter Touch Screen on Fahrenheit was $75)

They didnt cost what yours did... But they do what there supposed to do.. My Propane furnace is only used as an A/C source amd its T-stat is fine (non programmable) I set it at one temp and leave it. Its a Trane X90 hooked to a 3 ton A/C unit. I looked into a better unit. But dont need a fancy set-back for A/C.

Sounds like the cats meow. And I thought about it at work and asked friends about it. Dont need it.

For renters..... It would be a must have.

I like the neat factor. If my t-stats were in a location I could "show them off" I'd consider getting some bling for the walls. Sadly, mine are in a room that only the wife and I see regularly. So my $29 Honeywells will probably stay until one of them craps out.

Web capability is cool though...very cool.

I like the neat factor. If my t-stats were in a location I could "show them off" I'd consider getting some bling for the walls. Sadly, mine are in a room that only the wife and I see regularly. So my $29 Honeywells will probably stay until one of them craps out.

Web capability is cool though...very cool.
I just spent a few hours reading about these. Cool.. but not ready for primetime IMHO.

http://www.wiredprairie.us/blog/index.php/nest-thermostat-reviews

Sounds like that guy just wants to whine about everything? It's working well for me. Temp in teh house has been much better. Day high of 71-72*, with my old T Stat it would be pushing close to 80* sometimes.

Oh and no more CLAAAAIIIICCCCKKKKK, that my old T Stat would do when it would turn off and on. Was loud enough it'd wake me up sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.