NEVER KISS A CHAIN SAW! NEW PIC [BEWARE]!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting. We can learn from the tuition you paid.

I'll also be more careful to wear my helmet/faceshield.

I'm thinking that girl deserves a Lobster dinner when you're mended!

ATB,
Mike

CrawfordCentury said:
A lot of loggers and folks that spend considerable time in the woods keep a couple tampons or maxi pads in their first aid kit for blood absorption.

My Dad, an old time EMT and Vietnam Vet Medic, always kept those super duper Maxi pads in his first aid kit (which incidentally was simply a metal tool box) . . . as a kid I kind of wondered what type of emergency he would be going to where he would need them . . . but when I became an EMT I realized these were perfect . . . they're sterile, individually packaged and great at stopping blood flow . . . and the ones with wings may even be able to be tied around a limb! Of course, the wicked thick ones aren't exactly real popular any more. Tampons would not be as effective I would guess . . . and now I think we've sunk to a new low . . . we're talking about feminine hygiene products at a wood burning forum . . . I need a shot of testerone now. ;)

For the record in my first aid classes I teach what I call common sense first aid . . . use what you've got around you to the best of your ability . . . better to use a fairly clean T-shirt than nothing if you need something to stem the flow of blood from a bad laceration . . . if you're stung by a bee and begin to be short of breath you may be having an allergic reaction and need to seek medical help right away . . . but sometimes you can buy yourself some time with a few Benadryl tablets which many folks have around their home, etc.

Our doc told us once to keep a bottle of liquid (childrens) benadryl in the tackle box, hunting pack, tool box, etc. when out where bees were a possibility. If you feel that the sting(s) is affecting you to drink 1/2 the bottle. The liquid gets in to your system faster and 1/2 kids bottle was like taking 2 tablets.

Damn, looks like you will have to give up shaving for a while.

Wow you're one lucky guy you didn't get hurt more than you did! Glad you're gonna be OK.. Makes me wonder if a low kickback chain could have prevented that? Years ago a HS classmate had the same thing happen and the chain raked from his cheek to his eye brow! One hell of a scar...

Take Care,
Ray

Not what I wanted to see over my first cup of coffee.....

Again luck was with you that day!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the low kickback chains they are low kickback not NO kickback.....Bad things still occur and you need to be just as carefully with one..............

Been thinking about a hardhat lately..Now a little more..I hate to say it but a first aid kit never even came into thought till now.....

My wife even packed needle and thread in my first aid kit. Fortunately I've never had to stitch myself up. The only scars I have are on my left knee which I managed to hit twice. Kevlar saved my left thigh once from what would have been nasty.

As for those chain brakes, take your saw when it's not running and go through the motion of what would be a kickback. You might be surprised how late the chain brake actually engages and rethink how you hold your left wrist. I think they leave too much space between the handle and the brake. Probably OK when you have thick Winter mitts, particularly the chainsaw safety mitts with the Kevlar backs, but not with ordinary work gloves.

The time, that I mentioned above, I had major kick back the brake engaged just as fast as the saw kicked back. It seemed almost instantaneous. Kickback is superfast, and so is brake engagement. It's kinda like trying to get a seatbelt to lock in your car. You really have to yank hard on it with your hand, but if you make that abrupt stop, hopefully not a collision, that belt locks pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.