Never realized I could be turned on by dry wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arkyheat1

Aug 21, 2014
arkansas
Fellas, I'm in a good mood and ready for fall.

My novice cliched beginnings...last year around this time I went out and bought a Hearthstone Shelburne thinking, "hey, now I've got my stove, I'll buy some wood in October, then a winter full of movie watching and book reading by a toasty fire."

Two craigslist scams later, I had a cord full green wood and a stove that I thought was junky because "it" wouldn't keep the wood burning and never heated up above 400. Long story short, it became a rough season of running back and forth to Tractor Supply and loading up my new baby with Eco Bricks while desperately calling every tree-service in the yellow pages in hopes of finding truly seasoned wood. We all know how that ended.

I'm armed and ready for round two with a cord of nicely dried out pecan wood, and I just scored a HUGE find for future seasons...$200 hardwood cords delivered and stacked by a farm manager who supplies several of the local wood-burning pizza oven restaurants. He just made his first delivery yesterday and I couldn't be happier.

The next 90 days staring at all this wood will be a tantric experience. Literally, my day isn't complete unless I spend a few minutes talking to my pecan. Burn on, gents.

Fellas, I'm in a good mood and ready for fall.

My novice cliched beginnings...last year around this time I went out and bought a Hearthstone Shelburne thinking, "hey, now I've got my stove, I'll buy some wood in October, then a winter full of movie watching and book reading by a toasty fire."

Two craigslist scams later, I had a cord full green wood and a stove that I thought was junky because "it" wouldn't keep the wood burning and never heated up above 400. Long story short, it became a rough season of running back and forth to Tractor Supply and loading up my new baby with Eco Bricks while desperately calling every tree-service in the yellow pages in hopes of finding truly seasoned wood. We all know how that ended.

I'm armed and ready for round two with a cord of nicely dried out pecan wood, and I just scored a HUGE find for future seasons...$200 hardwood cords delivered and stacked by a farm manager who supplies several of the local wood-burning pizza oven restaurants. He just made his first delivery yesterday and I couldn't be happier.

The next 90 days staring at all this wood will be a tantric experience. Literally, my day isn't complete unless I spend a few minutes talking to my pecan. Burn on, gents.

Iam glad your happy - enjoy your pecan woody.

Reactions: arkyheat1
Last July I bought a house with an old wood stove. I thought the same thing about cutting up a tree or two in fall and letting it rip! Well I found this site and realized I was screwed. Luckily my buddy had a maple tree that's been down and bucked since Sandy and the nearest tractor supply had their eco bricks. It got me thru the winter. So now I have about 3 to 4 cords of maple, oak and black locust stacked and seasoning. Unfortunately some won't be ready by winter. One pallet of eco bricks mixed in will be more than enough though.

I don't think I can bring myself to buy actual cordwood. However I now have a Dirty Hand Tools 27 ton splitter. A small electric splitter, a Stihl 036 and just bought a Makita 6421 (dolmar) which was part of home depots rental fleet today. So I guess its all relative with the money spent but I'm loving the cutting, bucking, splitting, and stacking of wood. It's addictive.

I'll be buying an Ideal Steel Hybrid in a month or so. Can't wait!

Reactions: JA600L
You are learning, that is the main thing! Now you'll have to learn how to go out and scrounge your own wood and you'll be even more into it!

I've never burned Pecan, wish I could get some. But I've burned Hickory which is closely related I'm told, so you should love it. And how do you like that Shelburne stove? I saw that one a few years ago in the local stove shop and thought it was a pretty cool looking stove!

Talk away all you want to your woodpile, we understand! ;lol :)

You are learning, that is the main thing! Now you'll have to learn how to go out and scrounge your own wood and you'll be even more into it!

I've never burned Pecan, wish I could get some. But I've burned Hickory which is closely related I'm told, so you should love it. And how do you like that Shelburne stove? I saw that one a few years ago in the local stove shop and thought it was a pretty cool looking stove!

Pecan being in the hickory family burns very similar. I've got some ready for this year so I'm sure I'll be on here in the future raving about it

I never gonna buy "seasoned " wood again. Biobriks is a way to go for me if I'm short on my own firewood. Although , with oil being $1.95 even biobricks doesn't seem like a good idea.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN

Woodsman, Shelby has been a pleasure despite not having good wood last year. One week last winter I visited my parents and they let me take several pieces of well seasoned wood back home with me. Stove took it and operated great around 600 and had great 6-8 burns before dropping below 400. In hindsight, it's not the right type of stove for my use. Living in Arkansas, winters aren't horrible, and I'm more of an evening fire person, almost always starting from a cold stove. I should have gone with a steel one so I can enjoy the heat sooner each night...the Shelburne takes a couple of hours to get up to speed. Really looking forward to burning in it this winter with some seasoned stuff, though!

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
I understand the feeling. Every time I drive by this big firewood operation near my hometown (the guy sells Tamarack, Pine, Apple, Plum, Black and Honey Locust, Cherry, Oak, Red Fir, White Fir, Doug Fir, Grand Fir, Maple, and Ash) I find myself very jealous. Oooooohhhh if I could spend a day out there with a maul and wedge I could quit going to therapy. Then I would OCD stack it by type and split size and maybe rebuild the Great Wall of China using the splits to make neat little castellations and battlements and the rounds for the foundation. Or maybe build one of those neat little sideways Oak tree designs you see on google images when you search for "OCD" and "firewood" in the search box.

Status
Not open for further replies.