Never seen this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StihlKicking

Feeling the Heat
Jan 12, 2016
Hatchie Bottom, MS
7aea9655016e003655fc17d087d88a74.jpg
This is a sugar berry that I cut down two weeks ago. It's been sitting off the ground until I split it today. Anyone else ever seen the green color in the wood grain? Thoughts? The tree appeared healthy otherwise.

Wow, seen some green before but not to that extent ! Does it smell moldy at all? Can't tell if it is mold or what, really unique for sure !

Wow, seen some green before but not to that extent ! Does it smell moldy at all? Can't tell if it is mold or what, really unique for sure !

Not at all, the tree looked healthy when I cut it and the grain looks solid and sound. I half way wish I had milled it, would have made for some interesting boards.

Never dealt with sugar berry befor but my best guess would be some kind of iron staining like you would see in an oak with a nail in it.

Maybe, most of the time wood I see with metal in it is stained a blueish black color. That's as good a guess as I've had though.

Looks like "Green Stain Fungus". aka Green Elfcup or Green Woodcup

Chlorociboria aeruginascens. The name just rolls off the tongue. Look for little green cups or saucers on the exterior (the fruiting body of the fungus).