New and need help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scrapfarm89

Oct 21, 2019
Kansas
I just went from a Kent tile wood stove to a new Vogelzang 5790 pellet stove. This is the first pellet stove ive ever been around. Install was straight forward but heres my issue. On startup I have a small wisp of smoke from either the bottom of the cleanout tee or the 90 degree elbow. I have rtv every seem, joint, gap and anything i could find and foil taped everything. I have run the stove twice for 4-6 hours and have had no CO alarms or smoke alarms go off and no indicators of CO poisoning. Is this just from a cold start and the joints havent expanded enough to provide a good seal? There is no smoke or smell in the house after the fire is established.

Running duravent pellet pro 3" from the stove to a 6" adapter and using existing 6" tripple wall through the roof with a good tract. Also installed a fresh air intake kit. Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 1021192040a.jpg
    1021192040a.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 1021192040.jpg
    1021192040.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 1021192040_HDR.jpg
    1021192040_HDR.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 141
Look at the pipe in the dark with an LED light shining on it. The smoke source should be very visible.

I had the same issues but the fresh air kit solved it. You already have that so I don't know unless the tape isn't sealing that great. I used high temp RTV on mine. After sealing the pipe connections, it started leaking from the factory seams in the pipes so I sealed those too.

If you take out the clean out-T (as if the pipe needed to be cleaned) and look at it, you may see a little gap around the entire perimeter. This needs to be filled with the silicone as well. Had to do this with mine. I can't tell from your pictures, did you tape the bottom of the cap as well?

Sorry to say but that's one ugly install. If your Silicone the joints is no way you should need the tape. I've installed at least five pellet stoves in my house over 10 to 15 years and never had a smoke leak and I'm just a novice.