new and need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KBT2005

Feb 11, 2009
SCOTLAND
please help.

i have just bought a chelsea duo stove. start it with fire lighters then add my kindling get a good flame then add some pallet wood and its a great fire. all this with bottom gate open to give it plenty of air. then i get my log on and after 15 mins its starting to go out, so i open the gate at bottom let the fire blaze again. shut the gate but air holes are still open at top and bottom of stove but keeps gan out. any assistance would be great. it is good seasoned wood am using to.

How big a log you throwin on there?
Rule of thumb is kindling the size of your fingers &
splits the size of your forearms...
Then bigger splits. I wouldn't throw a whole log on there
unless it was under 3-4 inches (OK, Scotland...75 - 100 mm) in diameter...
Logs may look dry, but in order to get to proper moisture content, they
need to be split...

i will split the logs again then, only a small stove so i will try that tomorrow night. failing that, what are my options?

KBT2005 said:
i will split the logs again then, only a small stove so i will try that tomorrow night. failing that, what are my options?

Why not try it first & report back with your reults?
Keep at it...
Most new wood burners probably take a half a winter to figure
out how to burn their units to get the heat they want...
Every stove burns differently & the same stove will not burn the same
in your house as it will in mine...
Good Luck!

What are the "multi-fuels" that it's designed to burn?
Wood/Coal?
Wood/Peat?
Coal/Peat?
Coal/Wood/Peat?
What does the owner's manual tell you?

Multi-fuel

Pros : Ensure you use a smokeless coal such as anthracite. This will produce more heat than wood and burns a lot slower, ideal for an evenings fire or to slumber the fire throughout the night. Traditional coal merchants still offer a regular delivery service. You have the option of a number of fuels if supply is sort - wood, coal or even peat. The initial cost of the appliance will be cheaper than gas or oil. Able to burn smokeless coal in smoke control zones.

Cons : Coal can be a dirty fuel to handle and to store. The ash needs to be removed ideally after every fire. Prices can very widely if you purchase fuel from a garage, where no local merchant is available. More difficult to light initially. Your chimney will need regular sweeping

from its book

Burn what you can get.
Like I said in an earlier post, it'll take you a while to figure out how it needs to be run...
Experiment...
Play around...
Bond with it...
Looks like a nice unit!

I'm not completely clear by your post but it sounds like you just need to learn when to open and close your vents. If it is going out, there is not enough air, there is not enough draft, the splits you put in are too big or too green or any combination of the above.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.