New Ashford Stone White Enamel in our New House?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Calentarse

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2011
MD
Some of you may remember that I struggled with my BK in my old house with a smoke smell issue. Well, this summer we purchased a larger home right down the street. Unfortunately, it has nothing but a gas furnace!

I believe I want to avoid the high gas costs and install something wood burning. I dabbled in an outdoor wood unit for the new house, but quickly found out that I can't justify the cost. I quickly reconsidered the BK Ashford and in thinking about it, I feel that the unit would perform better in the new home for several reasons: hopefully I can run it hotter more frequently; planning on putting in a taller stack that goes through an upstairs room and keeps the stack warm; and most of all, the stack would have no bends! Think that will eliminate the smoke smell issues?

I am wondering how much the stone white enamel costs. I am also curious if everyone would recommend it; the new house is pretty tight and 2200 square feet (w/ cathedral ceiling). Anyone have any pictures of the white enamel? What does one do with the pipe when the stove is white? Just spray paint it and try to match the color as best you can?

I quickly reconsidered the BK Ashford and in thinking about it, I feel that the unit would perform better in the new home for several reasons: hopefully I can run it hotter more frequently; planning on putting in a taller stack that goes through an upstairs room and keeps the stack warm; and most of all, the stack would have no bends! Think that will eliminate the smoke smell issues?

The smoke smell issue seems to be very draft dependent so running Class A up through a second story and then an attic, all vertical seems to put you up over 20 feet and well above the minimum recommended. The chimney won't be the cause of any draft problems. Some people are very sensitive to "stove" smells whether that is burning dust, actual leaking smoke, smoke from outside coming back in, or dog farts.

Will this install get a proper outside air connection? I think that is another potential reason that smoke can come into the room. Without the OAK, a negative pressure inside the house directly effects the draft strength negatively.

Another one to consider is smoke escapement from the firebox during reloading.

I read, but did not bookmark, a relatively scholarly article about indoor air quality , well several, but one in particular was able to quantify how much particulate escapes the firebox of an otherwise airtight stove during hot reloads.

It was a really small number, but it went on to talk about how a persons detection threshold varies with how many other allergens are in the air an how revved up their immune system is.

The smoke smell issue seems to be very draft dependent so running Class A up through a second story and then an attic, all vertical seems to put you up over 20 feet and well above the minimum recommended. The chimney won't be the cause of any draft problems. Some people are very sensitive to "stove" smells whether that is burning dust, actual leaking smoke, smoke from outside coming back in, or dog farts.

Will this install get a proper outside air connection? I think that is another potential reason that smoke can come into the room. Without the OAK, a negative pressure inside the house directly effects the draft strength negatively.
That's what I was hoping...at 20+ feet hopefully no chimney issues. I may not even get smoke spillage on reloads, which would be AWESOME. I would definitely install the oak because it would be fairly simple.

Another one to consider is smoke escapement from the firebox during reloading.

I read, but did not bookmark, a relatively scholarly article about indoor air quality , well several, but one in particular was able to quantify how much particulate escapes the firebox of an otherwise airtight stove during hot reloads.

It was a really small number, but it went on to talk about how a persons detection threshold varies with how many other allergens are in the air an how revved up their immune system is.
Interesting article - if you see it and can post would like to read it! With my old BK, I would get tons of spillage on reloads, even with a 17 foot stack. It had bends, so I think that hurt it. I would only do hot reloads if I was desperate! With some planning I could usually always avoid it.

I really had problems with allergies no matter the day, and I have had them all summer. I just wonder if I didn't run a stove if they'd improve. I have always had a stove.

My problem was that faint smell of smoke that always seemed to be rolling off the front of the stove. I can only hope that if we decide to do another one that this would not happen with no bends, higher stack, and a bigger home to heat so it wouldn't be cut back to hard.

What my wife and i tried this fall was closing all the windows, just closed the house up, lived with that a day or two, then turned on the furnace, ran that a couple days before we started the woodstove.

We have pulled a bunch of carpet and removed a bunch of popcorn ceiling, and its better, but it is clear there are a bunch of allergens in the remaining carpet.

What my wife and i tried this fall was closing all the windows, just closed the house up, lived with that a day or two, then turned on the furnace, ran that a couple days before we started the woodstove.

We have pulled a bunch of carpet and removed a bunch of popcorn ceiling, and its better, but it is clear there are a bunch of allergens in the remaining carpet.

As of last year we are now completely carpet free. Carpet is a really disgusting thing to have when you think about it. Harbors all kinds of life forms plus their detritus.

The home smells better and is not cold or echoey as you might think.

The front of the stove will always have that hot smell as heat rolls off of the glass. Any stove at any output setting.

White never stays white. I buy nothing white.