New Ashley AP5710 throwing E1 code?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mr4btTahoe

Burning Hunk
Jan 13, 2015
Indiana
Hey guys...

So I picked this stove up a few days ago and just got the last vent pipe component today (had to order a 45 bend) and got it installed.

Stove seemed to operate really well for the first hour or so.. but the auger would make an occasional clunk noise. I assume this is from it catching/breaking up a pellet. Anyways, as the hopper ran low, the auger got stuck and the fire went out.

I cleared the jam easily enough and filled the hopper this time. Stove re-lit no problem and the auger was working smoothly again so I left it be.

After ~2hrs... I'm sitting in the living room and here the fan on the stove get louder. I went in to where the stove is and E1 is flashing on the control panel. E1 according to the manual is over temp. The fire in the box was roaring... glass was black.

I let it calm down and opened the hopper... hopper was down 1/4 the way (was full 2 hours ago). The stove was running on it's lowest setting the whole time and the damper in the back of the stove was set accordingly (just a little under 1/4 open). Temperature coming off the blower was really hot.

It's almost as if the stove started over fueling (considering how quickly it ran through pellets) and with the stove set on its lowest setting, the room blower wasn't moving enough air to keep it from over heating. Guessing that is why the glass was black as coal also (damper set for the low stove setting).

The stove is vented using a 3" duravent kit. The stove is in the corner of an open room. The stove adapter is connected to a 45 bend... to 2 - 12" sections that take it through the outside wall to the clean out Tee.. then 4 - 12" sections up to the 90 bend and cap. No OAK installed (as the manual doesn't say that it is required.. however I intended on picking one up soon).

I'm leaning towards a control failure (over-fueling the stove causing the over-temp condition). I'll be calling the store I bought it from in the morning since I've only had it a few days and see if they'll swap it out. I'm sure they will but wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking something simple/stupid.

It cooled down enough to mess with so I cleaned the glass... Checked things over... Cleaned the burn pot and reservation the temp limit switch.

The pictures are after 10-15minutes on it's lowest setting. Damper in rear nearly closed. Air temp coming out of the vents is hotter than my wood stove so I decided to shut it back down. Definitely looks to be overfiring compared to my other pellet stove in my garage....

Attachments

• IMG_20190105_012720692.jpg
    IMG_20190105_012720692.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_20190105_012701604.jpg
    IMG_20190105_012701604.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 242
No thoughts?

The stove is being replaced by the store I purchased it from... but I'm curious if there is anything I'm overlooking or anything with the installation that could cause this situation...

I doubt you did anything wrong.Over feeding seems to be a common problem with that stove.Seems like the Chinese did not get the programming right.

Hey guys...

So I picked this stove up a few days ago and just got the last vent pipe component today (had to order a 45 bend) and got it installed.

Stove seemed to operate really well for the first hour or so.. but the auger would make an occasional clunk noise. I assume this is from it catching/breaking up a pellet. Anyways, as the hopper ran low, the auger got stuck and the fire went out.

I cleared the jam easily enough and filled the hopper this time. Stove re-lit no problem and the auger was working smoothly again so I left it be.

After ~2hrs... I'm sitting in the living room and here the fan on the stove get louder. I went in to where the stove is and E1 is flashing on the control panel. E1 according to the manual is over temp. The fire in the box was roaring... glass was black.

I let it calm down and opened the hopper... hopper was down 1/4 the way (was full 2 hours ago). The stove was running on it's lowest setting the whole time and the damper in the back of the stove was set accordingly (just a little under 1/4 open). Temperature coming off the blower was really hot.

It's almost as if the stove started over fueling (considering how quickly it ran through pellets) and with the stove set on its lowest setting, the room blower wasn't moving enough air to keep it from over heating. Guessing that is why the glass was black as coal also (damper set for the low stove setting).

The stove is vented using a 3" duravent kit. The stove is in the corner of an open room. The stove adapter is connected to a 45 bend... to 2 - 12" sections that take it through the outside wall to the clean out Tee.. then 4 - 12" sections up to the 90 bend and cap. No OAK installed (as the manual doesn't say that it is required.. however I intended on picking one up soon).

I'm leaning towards a control failure (over-fueling the stove causing the over-temp condition). I'll be calling the store I bought it from in the morning since I've only had it a few days and see if they'll swap it out. I'm sure they will but wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking something simple/stupid.

You are not overlooking, it is a defective stove. I bought the AP5710 from tractor supply and had the identical problems. Only one feed speed, and it's high. No control from the panel. The feed motor made a clunking sound, it over fired. Finally when I shut it down, it continued to feed pellets and got so hot I pulled the power plug. I called the tech service, and the response was vague. So I called the store and they will take it back since it is within the 30 day return policy. So I bought the PK130 and it runs great, even keeps the house warm on lowest feed. We have a 1500 sq/ft mobile in the country. My advice: Take it back for a refund, it could be dangerous left unattended.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Been talking with US Stove as TSC can't get a replacement.

According to the tech I've been speaking with... the stove was redesigned due to this problem. They changed the auger motor (I'm assuming to a slower version), and redesigned the hopper with an adjustable feed restrictor for dialing in the feed rate for difference pellet sizes.

The auger is a direct swap but the hopper is not and can't be retrofitted.

They said they can 2nd day air the auger. I e-mailed them back to find out if just replacing the auger was enough to get it to run in spec considering that it's only part of the redesign.

Then I asked if they could just replace the stove with the redesigned model considering it isn't safe to operate and considering it's a known problem.

We'll see what they say.

Hi guys , has US Stove done anything for any one to retro fit / repair/replace the known design flaw with the pellet over feeding/over heating on the Ashley AP5710 mini pellet stove . I have the version pre re-design with the problems . Thanks in advance High hopes

Hi guys , has US Stove done anything for any one to retro fit / repair/replace the known design flaw with the pellet over feeding/over heating on the Ashley AP5710 mini pellet stove . I have the version pre re-design with the problems . Thanks in advance High hopes

Yes. They redesigned the unit.

Call their tech department and they will ship you the proper auger motor. The auger motor that came with ours was way too fast. The proper motor makes it feed properly. I think the motor ours shipped with was 4x faster than the one they sent me to replace it. They replaced it free of charge.

Haven't had a problem since.

Be sure to specify that the auger motor is the problem. They nearly sent me every part before finding out which was the cause.

Yes. They redesigned the unit.

Call their tech department and they will ship you the proper auger motor. The auger motor that came with ours was way too fast. The proper motor makes it feed properly. I think the motor ours shipped with was 4x faster than the one they sent me to replace it. They replaced it free of charge.

Haven't had a problem since.

Be sure to specify that the auger motor is the problem. They nearly sent me every part before finding out which was the cause.