New baby Jotul - F35 Rockwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Introducing the F35 Rockwood. 1.57 cu ft usable firebox, 25.5" rear exit height with the short leg kit.
F35-silo-main.png

Now if only they would bring back the inserts.

Yeah, saw this the other day, someone told me they just ordered one. It will be interesting to see how it performs. Too bad it doesn’t meet the tax credit threshold.

Top comes off via two exterior bolts on the side. 1.5 cu ft…….. it that really the market they need to compete in? Was hoping for a big stove. Smaller than the F400 bigger than the F100 albeit I bet you can load just an much wood in this as the F400.

I’m guessing this means the F400 won’t ever be coming back.

25.5” short leg height is a winner.

Reactions: Todd
With a max log size of 16”, I don’t really see that being too useful. The value in the F400, as a medium sized stove, was that it still took up to a 21” split. Just my opinion/experience here but unless you are particular in processing all your own wood, getting wood under 16” is going to be nearly impossible.

With a max log size of 16”, I don’t really see that being too useful. The value in the F400, as a medium sized stove, was that it still took up to a 21” split. Just my opinion/experience here but unless you are particular in processing all your own wood, getting wood under 16” is going to be nearly impossible.
I went from the F400 to a stove that takes 18" wood. No regrets. Most purchased cord wood is cut to 16". Based on the firebox firebrick it looks like the F35 has 17" depth. I'm glad they made it deep enough to be a N/S loader.

I went from the F400 to a stove that takes 18" wood. No regrets. Most purchased cord wood is cut to 16". Based on the firebox firebrick it looks like the F35 has 17" depth. I'm glad they made it deep enough to be a N/S loader.
Definitely a huge plus they made it as a N/S loader. I’m just speaking to the experience of firewood dealers in Central VA that finding anything reliably less than about 18” is near impossible.

The N/S loading will be a big plus for a smaller stove. If it burns anything like my F45 the stated burn times are probably conservative.

Top comes off via two exterior bolts on the side. 1.5 cu ft…….. it that really the market they need to compete in? Was hoping for a big stove. Smaller than the F400 bigger than the F100 albeit I bet you can load just an much wood in this as the F400.

I’m guessing this means the F400 won’t ever be coming back.

25.5” short leg height is a winner.
Yeah I was thinking they would come out with a 3+ cu ft firebox stove. The F55 comes in at 2.7 not much bigger than the F45 2.4. Maybe they are still tweaking the F400 to be similar to the F500 V3 with a cat. I could also see these cast clad stoves incorporating a cat in the future, plenty of room for one above the baffle.

Yeah I was thinking they would come out with a 3+ cu ft firebox stove. The F55 comes in at 2.7 not much bigger than the F45 2.4. Maybe they are still tweaking the F400 to be similar to the F500 V3 with a cat. I could also see these cast clad stoves incorporating a cat in the future, plenty of room for one above the baffle.
I think The design of the wide and shallow firebox makes a short smoke path and does not allow for an efficient clean burn. Sticking a cat in there….. the industry did that before to meet emissions and we know how that turned out. I don’t see the F500v3 and a good solution. They took an existing design and shoehorned a cat in with no manual bypass. Innovative, sure… good design…. Ehhhh, we will see in about 3 years how the cats hold up.

As far as the industry goes full cast stoves seem to be less popular and I’m not sure why.

Introducing the F35 Rockwood. 1.57 cu ft usable firebox, 25.5" rear exit height with the short leg kit.
View attachment 303557

Now if only they would bring back the inserts.
Thanks I hate it 😅

In my opinion these F35/45/50/55 are ugly as all heck. They look nothing like a Jotul should look.

Bring back any of the F-series smaller stoves. F100, 3cb, F400. Not this crap.

Reactions: EbS-P
I bet that’ll find its way into a lot of fireplaces. You won’t be able to see the odd back end.

Thanks I hate it 😅

In my opinion these F35/45/50/55 are ugly as all heck. They look nothing like a Jotul should look.

If only they had a way to meet emissions standards they never would have left. It would have been a complete redesign. These big(er) cast iron stoves are at a testing disadvantage I think but can’t prove it.
Really they took the design pretty far but I don’t think they tried to hard with R&D. They gave up the F line minus the 500 (which the slapped a cat in) grave up the entire insert line. And added some outdoor fireplaces…….

Agreed. Give me a N/S loader, even a shallow one like this F35, over a wide E/W like the F400, any day. Side load doors have made the E/W stoves more practical for those not stuffing them into corners or into fireplaces, but for the rest of us, N/S just has so many advantages with regard to easy loading and stuffing full from the front door, with nothing rolling out or up against the glass.

Thanks I hate it 😅

LOL ;lol Tradition!! The old ones were beautiful, but I was not too impressed with the F3CB. Stiff and crude air controls, etc. did not reflect the quality of the bigger F400, F500, etc. But I will grant you, the F400 was one of the prettiest stoves we have owned.

Having owned both cast iron Jotuls and now a cast iron jacketed steel stove, I am hands down in favor of these stoves. Lower maintenance, deep fireboxes for N/S loading, and no cracks. They've done a nice job and they are made in Maine.

Reactions: Todd and Ashful
LOL ;lol Tradition!! The old ones were beautiful, but I was not too impressed with the F3CB. Stiff and crude air controls, etc. did not reflect the quality of the bigger F400, F500, etc. But I will grant you, the F400 was one of the prettiest stoves we have owned.

Having owned both cast iron Jotuls and now a cast iron jacketed steel stove, I am hands down in favor of these stoves. Lower maintenance, deep fireboxes for N/S loading, and no cracks. They've done a nice job and they are made in Maine.
I completely agree with you about the F400. As far as looks, definitely the most beautiful stove we have ever owned too. This Osburn 3500 we own now has the least visual character of the stoves we have had but I am the most highly satisfied with it, by far.

Reactions: EbS-P
Can anyone speak to how hot the bottom of the Jotul F35 stove gets in terms of radiating heat to the floor underneath? We are thinking of installing a continuous 14 gauge carbon steel hearth and weren’t sure how hot that might get.

Reactions: Dselleck