New batch of cubex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnbaby

May 19, 2011
Southern nh
I just installed my pellet stove 3 weeks ago. I didn't just go out and buy tons of whatever, instead on everyone's advice I'm trying out different brands ( okanagans, cubex, Geneva) so far. I keep coming back to cubex, probably cause its sold a mile down the road. Honestly I've been happy with all of them. I just went to agway to pick up a few more bags of cubex. I handed the kid my receipt and he hopped on the fork truck and went around the corner to get a fresh pallet full. Less than ten feet from me was a already opened pallet. So I asked him what was up with that. He said that the last few batches of cubex didn't burn so good, and that they fixex the issue and that the bags he was giving mere from the new batch. Being a newbie I didn't notice that the old pellets didn't burn great, but I'm excited to see how these new ones burn. Has anyone heard of this.

I must of got the OLD batch I also went and got mine at AGWAY. I have been burning Okies and Vermonts for the last year and a half and am very happy with them.
I thought I would try the Cubex as they were toted as being a real good pellet. I find they burn hot BUT I am seeing more ash and the ash clumps in the burn pot.
At an extra buck a bag $7.00 I am not too happy with what I got

I must of got the OLD batch I also went and got mine at AGWAY. I have been burning Okies and Vermonts for the last year and a half and am very happy with them.
I thought I would try the Cubex as they were toted as being a real good pellet. I find they burn hot BUT I am seeing more ash and the ash clumps in the burn pot.
At an extra buck a bag $7.00 I am not too happy with what I got
I too have large clumps of ash in the burn pot, thought that was normal

I just finished my cubex. Not going back. Lots of big clumps that quickly cut air flow, and reduced the efficiency. Stove chow has been the best all around pellet, and the white lightening are hot but $$$$ for me.

Going to mix some chow and lightening to see wha happens this weekend. Never tried a blend but What the heck. One hot,pellet plus one clean pellet might equal nirvana.

Cubex is good. It used to be great! The problem is that it still lives on its old reputation of being "Top Dog" when really it is a mid range quality pellet (And quite often still priced at the top). Therefore, many people hear "Cubex" and think "OOOOHHHH Boy!, these are going to be great!" and end up being disapointed because their expectations were so much higher. Still....Cubex is good, just not great. I don't sell them nor am I trying to defend them....Just offering an explanation.

I sure hope they rewind and fix what ever issues they had. These april 2010 batch are smokin hot. Smell like nice fresh cut oak too.

The bags of cubex have a number on the front upper left hand corner 553971 that I burned and made the big ash clumps. I also have about 15 more bags that have different numbers on them. Anyway to tell when they were made or If one lot was bad and the others are good? I know I know Burn them and see
I just feel a little irrigated that I went looking for the gold mine and got the shaft.
Jim

Where in southern NH can you get the cubex? I live in the Brookline/Milford area and would like to try them. Also, how much are you paying for them?

Dodges Agway in Plaistow N.H. Is where I got mine $7.00 a bag $300.00a ton I think I bought by the bag
Not happy with the ash. Thinking of going back to East Coast lumber in Hampstead for Okies If there any better ( I hear this year there crappy also)
Jim

Dodges Agway in Plaistow N.H. Is where I got mine $7.00 a bag $300.00a ton I think I bought by the bag
Not happy with the ash. Thinking of going back to East Coast lumber in Hampstead for Okies If there any better ( I hear this year there crappy also)
Jim

Not crappy, Still hot as heck. Just lots of fines. They may have that figured out, But beware of older stock. They are in clear bags so you should be able to see right away.

jeez, I thought Cubex fixed the issues they had last year, seems thats not the case. I had 3 tons of nots so great Cubex last season, Sooo much ash! this year I went with the VT's and could not be more happy.

Mr Bean 1025 Stove Keepers in Brookline has them they are called Northern but they are Cubex.

On my 3rd bag of Cubex from the half ton I picked up a few days ago. They are burning HOT! However as many have reported, I'm seeing ash clumps in the burn pot which I have never had before, not with Lignetics, Instant Heat, Green Supreme, Agway Brand, Cleanfire's. Cubex are the only one's since 2008 that have left clumps in the burn pot. At 260 a ton the ash buildup isn't worth the heat output. Too much cleaning ahead. Then again is cleaning all that hard to do?

I had to clean my p68 3 or 4 times in 1 ton of last years Cubex, this year went to VT's and it takes 1 ton with 1 cleaning, thats a lot of saved time.

Status
Not open for further replies.