New Big Jack furnace installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmiller2

Dec 30, 2008
Tennessee
I have finally got my furnace installed and will be firing up soon. I did the installation myself and have only the
thermostat and fresh air vent left to do. In the meantime I have two questions.

1. I have a lot of wood cut and stacked. All of it has been outside uncovered some cut four years ago( some 3yrs, 2yrs ago etc) and some just this summer.
I want to use the older stuff first and will get the other into dry storage by next summer. Will I have a problem using well-
seasoned but rain/weather exposed wood? I will try to let air dry as best as I can and then cover with tarp.

2. My chimney is simpson 6" double wall SS that goes straight up from two tees off back of furnace. One tee is for cleanout and the other is for damper (They are installed one to the other) I want to clean chimney monthly at first and want advise on
what to buy for cleaning tools/system. I plan to run brush from inside up thru the pipe. The total height of chimney is about
16 feet.

Thanks
Jim Miller

Congrats on the new furnace. Everyone like pics!!

Wet from rain wood is not the same as un-seasoned wood. Try and find a dry place to put a few days supply, if the rest is wet, not a big deal.

Steel chimney brushes can shorten the life of your ss chimney, not sure how much, but poly is easier on the ss. I use a rope method, drop it down from the top, have someone hook on the brush and I pull it up, they use the rope in other end to pull it back down, we repeat and are done. Much easier with 2 people than me running up and down a ladder doing both. Many people who use poles on this sight suggest making your own with pvc.
Lots of places to buy 6" poly brush and poles, including home stores, northern tool, baileysonline, ebay...
I also cleaned mine every month last year, mostly because my wood is not as seasoned as it should be, if your wood is 3 or 4 years seasoned, you will probably be OK with every 3 or 4 months cleaning.

jimmiller2 said:
I have finally got my furnace installed and will be firing up soon. I did the installation myself and have only the
thermostat and fresh air vent left to do. In the meantime I have two questions.

1. I have a lot of wood cut and stacked. All of it has been outside uncovered some cut four years ago( some 3yrs, 2yrs ago etc) and some just this summer.
I want to use the older stuff first and will get the other into dry storage by next summer. Will I have a problem using well-
seasoned but rain/weather exposed wood? I will try to let air dry as best as I can and then cover with tarp.

2. My chimney is simpson 6" double wall SS that goes straight up from two tees off back of furnace. One tee is for cleanout and the other is for damper (They are installed one to the other) I want to clean chimney monthly at first and want advise on
what to buy for cleaning tools/system. I plan to run brush from inside up thru the pipe. The total height of chimney is about
16 feet.

Thanks
Jim Miller

Mike
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely use a poly brush. I will try to post a photo also. I am very happy with my installation
even though I haven't fired it up yet. I custom made all the ducting by welding a 3/4 inch angle iron frame and covering
it with 22 ga metal using steel pop rivets. The way it is designed it will discharge heat into the largest room and pull return throughout the house, down the stairs, into the basement and back into the furnace. It is in the garage (Won't be used as
garage during heating season) which has a ten foot wall. Behind the upper eight feet is house and behind the lower two feet
is basement.

Congrats Jim....your wood should be just fine.I've been firing my Jack for a month now and boy does that wood heat feel great after a long day on the water with 40 degree temps.
If there ever any issues you need handled ...you can always call me.
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.