new boiler owner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

z28clone

Feb 15, 2015
Ohio
I found an old Tarm 55 wood boiler on craigslist. It has a few leaks which I hope to repair. I hope I got a good deal for $200 I spent. Anyway, I'm tip toeing into the wood boiler field to use this as axillary heat next to my propane furnace. I have a 1800sqft ranch, 24x40 shop and a 13,000 gal inground pool. We use about 700-900 gal of propane annually. I researched homemade water storage ideas in relation to the space I have available. I have room for 190 gal in my basement and the other options are 125, 190, and 450gal options in my shop. However the more storage I build, the more space I use up. Questions are:
1. Does anyone have a Tarm 55 manual they can email me?
2. The house is drafty in 2 west rooms in our house. Instead of adding a water to air HX in my furnace, I have the idea to add 1 or 2 feet of copper pipe with the FABTEK baseboard fins and tuck it in 2 furnace ducts for these two rooms. I will also add 6" inline fans in each duct controlled by a separate thermostat in those two rooms. Any thoughts on this idea.
3. Researching the resources on the internet, I found that the size my boiler (140k btu/hr) should be fitted to about 500 gal of storage. How important is it that I size my storage to this size. What happens I if choose to build a 125 gal or 190 gal storage instead of the 450 gal option?

Status
Not open for further replies.