new boiler with new flue going through old masonry chimney; replace with stainless steel flue throug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chimhelp

Hearth Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
mass
recently installed new boiler; new flue travels to the left about 6 ft to old masonry chimney as before; chimney flues in good shape; chimney is at the end of the house, outside chimney, with two fireplaces in home, same chimney, fireplaces on first floor and basement, one above the other. Have been told it is best to put new flue thru foundation right behind boiler for efficiency and to avoid damage to fireplace; chimeny terra cotta flue will heat slowly and condensate will form and cause problems with draft etc. not a cheap procedure. worth the money and effort?

Well, I haven't been there to physically see the install, but if there is a usable flue within 6 feet of the boiler I say line it and go for it so long as you're not contradicting the owners manual or local building code. If it's a high efficiency unit, you probably want to insulate the liner.

Is it better to have a flue directly behind the boiler? Sure. But, a 6 foot run of pipe isn't a big deal for a typical boiler. You are usually allowed a horizontal run of 75% of the total height. Anyway, my vote is to line the chimney with some 316Ti smooth wall and insulate if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.