New Stainless Steel Liner Options.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baddshah00711

Jul 24, 2022
Northern VA
I was hoping to get some advise on which liner would be better for my flue. I am getting quted around the same price for each but 2 different repuitable companies.

1. 6” Best Flex Elite stainless steel liner system. Insulate the new liner using Thermix insulation.

or

2. Home Saver Ultra Pro Liner, Reline 5.5x25, Stainless, tee connection and 8x13 with insulation.
I asked about the 5.5" system being smaller and was tolda "We use 5 1/2" liners because they are easier to install and we can pour the insulation inside the existing flue without removing the old liner. Removing the old liner in a chimney that small can damage the chimney itself."

Would the 5.5 size be a concerm?

Attached is a picture of my chimeny.

Thanks.

Sahil

Chimeny.jpg

I was hoping to get some advise on which liner would be better for my flue. I am getting quted around the same price for each but 2 different repuitable companies.

1. 6” Best Flex Elite stainless steel liner system. Insulate the new liner using Thermix insulation.

or

2. Home Saver Ultra Pro Liner, Reline 5.5x25, Stainless, tee connection and 8x13 with insulation.
I asked about the 5.5" system being smaller and was tolda "We use 5 1/2" liners because they are easier to install and we can pour the insulation inside the existing flue without removing the old liner. Removing the old liner in a chimney that small can damage the chimney itself."

Would the 5.5 size be a concerm?

Attached is a picture of my chimeny.

Thanks.

Sahil

View attachment 297343
Insulating either a 6" or 5.5" with pour in insulation without removing the old clay will never meet code for solid fuel use. There simply isn't enough room you need 1" of pour in all around the stainless to insulate properly. You can either remove the clay or go with an oval liner. A 5.5 is ok if the stove manufacturer allows their stove to be run through a 5.5

6" oval DuraLiner is made for this situation also.