New Breckwell Golden Eagle 5520 Ash Pan Latches broke right off! Any better ones?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
update , another way to seal the ash pan tightly with out having to replace the short catch levers is to check how sloppy the drawer fits when the stove is not running. See if you can move the ash pan top to bottom while it is closed yet unlatched . I you have play in it you can shim the bottom rail some to take this out, hence it move more of the latch to the top and makes a better connection for it to latch tightly.

To help the ash pan seal better, I added s thin strip of sticky back insulation around the perimeter of the door frame. Seems to be sealing the door better. I have already adjusted those latches 3 times - that is getting old. I also decided to close out the rest of the window air wash - the last 4" of open space after I installed the kit from US stove. Closing the last air gap seems to really make the stove perform better and hotter. Of course will have to clean the glass more - but it seems you have to clean the glass often anyway - so no loss there. I will report back in a couple weeks to see if these changes are holding up.

To help the ash pan seal better, I added s thin strip of sticky back insulation around the perimeter of the door frame. Seems to be sealing the door better. I have already adjusted those latches 3 times - that is getting old. I also decided to close out the rest of the window air wash - the last 4" of open space after I installed the kit from US stove. Closing the last air gap seems to really make the stove perform better and hotter. Of course will have to clean the glass more - but it seems you have to clean the glass often anyway - so no loss there. I will report back in a couple weeks to see if these changes are holding up.

Thanks for the info. A self stick 1/2" flat gasket may also work. I also found the exhaust blower seems to be a little weak for the stove. That stove uses a common 85 cfm combustion blower. You could try the Magnum 3650 two speed 1.5 amp blower. It has 3 wires. The white is common and the red is for 85 cfm and the black is for 105 cfm. It is a great blower but you may have to use your own fan blades if the magnum blades are too big.

Agree - I think a little more cfm on the blower would help the stove a lot. The design of the stove is not the best. The ash draw opening is too large. On the other hand, it is an inexpensive stove.

I have to replace these latches monthly... has anyone found other compatible latches to use?

The Breckwell Big E has knobs that screw on to studs that go thru a hole in the ash pan instead of a latch. Does that ash pan overlap enough to do that?

Going to attach the files from US Stove about the 2 fixes they sent me. I think the attached below. I will also take a phone picture.

Here is the stove in the basement. The pellets in this pic are the ones from Curtis Lumber.

View attachment 88973
Along with those two fixes the latches have been changed. The new part is 26104. It corrects the noted errors in design. This is a stove from Golden Eagle. It was placed under the Breckwell flag when Golden Eagle was aquired by USSC. It is currently the only stove from the Golden Eagle brand out of Texas. It has 3 "Field Fixes" that have been implimented. The two JHanan posted and the latch issue. All are sent free no matter how long the stove has been used.

The two other fixes (air wash and burnpot gasket) are included in part# 5520FFK. Also free of charge.

My latches broke on this stove as well. I did not replace the cheap plastic latches with metal ones because the fundamental design is wrong and causes a moment on the door pulling the top tight while the bottom seal remains loose. So I installed 2 bolts on each end of the door - on center - with big wing nuts. All metal, centered, and holds the door tight while in operation. Now on 1st 3rd year the door handle snapped in 2. I built a temporary until while I order the factory replacement for this. Its a cheap stove ($1K).

Has anyone drilled out every other hole in the burn pot to a slightly larger dia?

Status
Not open for further replies.