New Build Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 29, 2017
Boyd, TX
I'm in Dallas TX area and I have wrecked out my original fireplace which was a circa 1994 very bad zero clearance metal box. The attached drawing shows my new starting point. The chimney is not shown but it is a framed chase that tops out 25 ft above ground level. After I install the new fireplace I'll frame around the exterior and replace the exterior brick veneer. I'm looking for suggestions on a high efficiency fireplace (not an insert). I will have the ability to supply outside air. My budget for the fireplace alone is four to five thousand dollars (including insulated chimney pipe).

I'm concerned the exhaust pipe being on an exterior wall, tall and in uninsulated chase will keep the exhaust pipe to cold to draw properly as that was the issue with the original box. Should I insulate the chase (will be hard without removing siding)? Should I exit the chimney horizontally much lower that the current top?

Attachments

• fireplace.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 154
How large of a fireplace are you looking at. Will this be for heat or mostly for ambience fires? If heat, how large of an area?

To start with, take a look at ~2 cu ft fireplaces by RSF, Astria, Pacific Energy & Valcourt.

Reactions: farmerandy7481