New Burner with Question for Experts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdBones

Jul 10, 2009
Indiana
Hello to all,

I purchased a Summit insert last year and burned it all winter with no issues -- I loved it.
This winter I find myself having problems, even with known good and dry, seasoned oak and ash.
Last year I could burn all day long and through the night easy, and the coals would literally burn to ashes.
This year I can't make it through a day without the firebox filling up with coals to the point I can't really shove a load into it without shoveling out good, hot coals.
The coals never burn down to ash if I just walk away from it for a day -- I shovel out chunks.
I have no problem starting the fire and seemingly no draft issue, so I don't get it.

The liner was insulated when the install was done last year. Could I have a creosote build-up issue already, this soon?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated!!

PS: I have already removed, cleaned and reinstalled the baffle.

Cold and confused in Indiana...

Do you burn in cycles ? How often are you reloading ? Is the wood different from last year? Lets start there and move forward.

I've used the exact same oak wood as last year, just a year older and I've used newer oak and 2-year split ash.

I normally reload north and south when the last load has burned about 2/3 down.

The last few days I slowed down and just put 2 or 3 split pieces on at a time - same result eventually.

I've tried keeping the air adjusted a bit up.

I just filled it up and the box is half-full of coals - to the point I have to be careful not to let any spill out the front.. I emptied them this morning.

Other than that the fire is buring hot and when I reload it burns just as well as it did last year.

I appreciate your time !!!

I encounter different moisture wood throughout our stack. Heart wood seems to hold it longer. Have you taken a couple of those oak splits and resplit them to check the moisture on the freshly exposed wood surface?

If the wood is ok, then the flue needs to be examined. Can you get up to the cap to pull it? Inspect the screen for clogging and the pipe for creosote buildup.

Yup, clean the chimney and the cap and then burn a fire - come back and post results.

How about ash in the area where air comes out - I believe my stove (and maybe others) shares intake air between the secondaries and the doghouse. If the doghouse is blocked, maybe it's less likely the coals will burn up. I've also found that different species can really leave big coals.

That's a good suggestion. We have had a couple posts here where people installed the boost manifold incorrectly so that there was no addtional air at the base of the fire. Worth checking. You can tell by letting the stove cool down an running your fingers against the ashlip inside edge to feel the air holes in the center of the manifold, or perhaps see them with an inspection mirror.

Which way are the holes pointing on your boost manifold? They should be pointed to the back of the stove.

Improper boost manifold placement can cause a host of problems, including not letting enough air into the firebox to burn the coals down, chimney clogging, etc.

Ask me how I know this :red:

Thanks to all for the feedback and suggestions. I will check the boost manifold positioning tomorrow when the insert is empty and cooled down.

As for cleaning the insert and cap, I will have to see if there's a sweep in my area crazy enough to get up there in this weather. Me, I'm skeered of heights on a calm, summer day.

Thanks again, I really appreciate everyone's time!

My Bk cat did the same thing on the last load...kinda weird.
Filled(2/3's) at 7:00 am this morning and I still had big coal..actually pieces of wood at 9:00 pm.
Heated the house fine all day..low to mid 20's f...windy.
Was still 74 in the next room at 9.
I opened the air all the way and stirred a few times and let her rip..took care of a good deal of it that way..then reloaded.
I did bring a bunch of it to the front off to the sides then a spread them across the front after reloading.
But it was the first time with this stove where it was much bigger chunks of coal..it was different..I think the op is having the same type of deal but more often.
It almost looked some of the wood was gutted out if that makes any sense.

I had a sweep come out and after removing the baffle and inspecting the liner from inside he stated there was very little creosote and I was drafting very well.

He also stated it was obvious the insert burns hot as what little he could see on the liner was white.

It was a somewhat windy day and he felt sure I had no issue with draft, creosote, or the cap.

The boost manifold was positioned correctly with holes towards back of insert. I removed it, cleaned and made sure there was no obstruction, then replaced it.

The sweep did the dollar bill test and at the bottom left of door he was able to slide it out. He said it was not so loose that he necessarilly thought I needed to replace the gasket - but it is suspect.

I think he thought I was crazy to complain about a box full of hot coals.
The stove shop owner that installed the insert has the same attitude when I called him - that hot coals are a good thing and I should just stir them up.
Problem is it gets so full so fast that you can't stoke the coals much for fear some will spill out of the box. It certainly was not this way last year!

So, I will now go search out threads regarding the dollar bill test and gasket replacement.

I wouldn't have expected a need to change the gasket in just the second year of ownership but it does seem there is a little bit of play left in the door when latched shut. Seems the latch felt tighter last year.

Appreciate everyone's feedback !

I had issues with having a stove full of coals. I think i was just reloading to soon. Now I have been opening my air back up as I get later in my burn cycle, gets the coals burning and I start getting some good heat without reloading. I used to reload as soon as I was down to coals and heat output was dropping. Stoke those coals, push them up where your air comes in and open the air up, they will burn down and you will get some additional heat.

If I burn a lot of Oak and let the ashes build up too much the coals build up more, I think the stove burns better if the ash level is kept at the 1 to 2 inch level.

Status
Not open for further replies.