New CAT for encore 2550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jimmy C

Jan 30, 2020
Guilford, CT
I was thinking of changing out the CAT for my encore 2550 at the beginning of the season but, although it wasn't looking great, it still took off without much issue so I decided to try and get one more season. Recently I've noticed more smoke coming out of my chimney than should be, even though my cat temps are usually always between 1150 and 1650. Also the cat seems to be taking off a little slowly sometimes so I figured I'd order another one. I just received the new CAT today and thought I would make sure it fit properly since the stove was cool, plus I could use the opportunity to cleanout behind the fire back. When I took the existing CAT out a couple small pieces crumbled into the refractory so I figured I would just swap it.

Looking at these pics... what do you guys think? Was it time to change it anyway? Like I said, although sometimes it was a little slow to take off, it still worked aside from a little more smoke out of the chimney than I'd expect.

Also... anyone who has a refractory assembly: What tips can you provide for cleaning out the inside? I use a small shop vac with a rubber tube taped on the end but its hard to tell if I'm getting everything. Feel free to comment on the smoke coming out of the chimney when CAT is active. That's been a puzzle to me, but I have been attributing it to degradation of the CAT. I guess I will know for sure when I see what the chimney looks like with the new CAT in operation.

cat 1.jpeg cat 2.jpeg refrac.jpeg

Does yours have gasket interam wrap? I replace it when I clean cat as it just crumbles apart. I use compressed air and blow it out. Also, went with steel cat, going on season 8 with it and still looks and performs well.

How many seasons on that cat?

Does yours have gasket interam wrap? I replace it when I clean cat as it just crumbles apart. I use compressed air and blow it out. Also, went with steel cat, going on season 8 with it and still looks and performs well.
A couple people on here told me not to get the steel cat. They said the ceramics last longer and are cheaper, for this stove at least. Maybe next time around I will switch up.

How many seasons on that cat?
3.5... I expect the new one to last longer. I was using partially seasoned wood the first couple years and did not have a probe thermometer, or really even know what I was doing. Like I said, old CAT still takes off but I get smoke from the chimney. The new one is taking off much faster with no smoke. Going to do my best to keep it from going over 1700