new chimney and gaskets odd smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willty

Jan 11, 2008
long island n.y.
hi all,finally up and runniing..or maybe not.1988 v.c. resolute acclaim.had to replace combustion package with that tore half the stove down.so had to regasket quite abit.when i have a good coal bed .close damper and notice a wierd odor kinda plastic like.inspected stove with light before firing looked good.then noticed the back right corner a tiny bit of steam or smoke needed a bright light to see it. could this be residual burn off from gaskets? and i also retapped a bolt that held the upper fire back, used a bit of kroil (wd-40} in that area.second time i tried refiring it seems a little better but still smell when i close the damper.thanks safe than sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.