New england pellet stove doesnt stay lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian S

Nov 29, 2022
Upstate NY
I have an New england pellet stove that doesnt stay lit. seems as it has gotten older I(I bought it new in 2013) I have had to change the pressure switch at least once a season. My question is: When the stove is burning I smell smoke inside the house. Assuming the door gaskets may need changiing could this effect the vacuum switch not allowing pellets to feed properly ?

Your stove is a negative draft stove smoke can only escape from
the combustion fan to the chimney termination point. If the door
gasket is poor enough that enough air can enter to overcome the
vacuum your auger will stop.
When was the last time the stove had a complete cleaning from air
intake to chimney termination?

a complete cleaning? never, Ive always been going to do it.. I do clean the fire box the heat tubes and pull the plates off in the back of the fire box and knock loose all the soot I can , I 've never pulled the exhaust fan , assume before I do I should order the proper gaskets ? for when I put it back together?

Clean dead bird/squirrel out of exhaust?
Although I did recently clean a Whit that had almost 1/4" buildup on combustion fan blades, had never been out. Burned like new when done, was only problem I found.

a complete cleaning? never
WOW, a ten-year-old stove that has never had a full end-of-season cleaning.
Your lucky it still works at all
Clean the whole stove from the air inlet to exhaust termination you will be
surprised at how well it works after that

Reactions: scajjr2