New England Wood Pellet's New Plant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
I just got back from a visit to New England Wood Pellet's new plant in Schuyler, NY. They expect to start producing in about 3 weeks. Steve Walker, the president (and inventor of most of the equipment in the plant) says it will produce about 100,000 tons of pellets annually. That's running 24/7, 365. Here's a few pictures. That's Walker in front of the chip dryer, the view from the parking lot and the three pellet presses on the plant floor. Those motors on the side of the presses are 500 hp each. I don't recall the pressure at the point of extrusion, but he did say that the average wood splitter ram puts out about enough pressure to make one pellet at a time. So it's a lot.

Attachments

• newp1.jpg
    newp1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 306
  • newp2.jpg
    newp2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 286
  • newp3.jpg
    newp3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 285
Awesome shots Eric. Thanks for posting them. How is he powering the plant? Does it generate it's own power? How is he fueling the driers? With the sawdust or pellets?

At the moment, power comes off the grid. He told me that represents 5% of the energy used for production. The rest is in the form of wood (dried but not pelletized) burned to dry the feedstock. That's what the stack is for in the bottom pic above. The furnace puts out 15mw of thermal energy. It exhausts through the drying drum. A series of cyclones separates dust and other particulates from the exhaust before it goes out the stack. Basically, the dried wood is combined with the exhaust gasses in the rotary dryer--until it hits the cylclone. Then the gas goes up the stack and the dried wood pieces are metered into the 4 big silos in the front of the plant. There the stuff is mixed and stored, and eventually conveyed to another hammermill to be pounded into particles ready for pressing.

I don't have a great pic of the furnace, but you can see part of the base (and the refractory cement-filled maintenance door) on the lower left of the first pic. The cyclone arrangement described above is shown in the second photograph.

Attachments

• newp5.jpg
    newp5.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 234
  • newp4.jpg
    newp4.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 239
Status
Not open for further replies.