New Englander pellet stove 25-pdvc, Flame to tall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

09mgray

Nov 23, 2022
Maine USA
Hi Fokes, New here, so I have a New Englander pellet stove 25-pdvc, I'm running with settings LFF -1, LBA - 5, AOT -1 my Heat range is on 1 and usually put the blower between 1-5 depending on how cold it is, is there something I'm doing wrong to where the flame should be smaller? or is it being that tall ok? is there a way I could burn less pellets?

Thanks for any help my first stove so have a lot to learn I feel

Greetings... Post a pic of the flame... Englander help should come on soon..what were the lower buttons set at when new? I was under the assumption that the lower buttons should be set at 6-4-1..from factory..

Reactions: ericofmaine
As mentioned, a pic or video would help. I think 6-4-1 is factory, at least it was on my PDV. A couple of things come to mind: have you replaced any auger motors? Have you checked to see that you’re in mode D?

Eric

Hi Fokes, New here, so I have a New Englander pellet stove 25-pdvc, I'm running with settings LFF -1, LBA - 5, AOT -1 my Heat range is on 1 and usually put the blower between 1-5 depending on how cold it is, is there something I'm doing wrong to where the flame should be smaller? or is it being that tall ok? is there a way I could burn less pellets?

Thanks for any help my first stove so have a lot to learn I feel
Is it 'new' ?

They stove is a older unit, but mostly all new parts within a few years, its been putting out a E3 code, for over temp, so been running the blower a few numbers higher then the feed rate, im not sure how to check what mode the stove is in, i'll change the 3 settings on the bottom, the previous owner ran it on 1/5/1 so i'll change them to 6/4/1, mostly trying to slow the feed of pellets down to the stove

20221124_102330.jpg

Check your auger motors. There was a run of these a couple of years ago that were labeled as 1 RPM but were actually faster. This could cause the issue you’re seeing.

I wouldn’t adjust the bottom settings before checking on the motors. Putting LFF back to 6 is going to cause it to feed more pellets.

Eric

Put the stove in diagnostic mode (search on here) withe the hopper as empty as yo can get it. Put a mark on each motor (top is more important here). Turn on that motor while in diagnostic mode and time it to make a complete revolution. If it’s a 1 RPM motor, it will take a minute. Any faster and you have the wrong motor which can cause the over feed.

Eric

ok i know mine has 2 augers, and i do know the one that feeds the pot takes less then a minute to make a complete rotation

also should this plate be flat agenst the back or leaning forward? i hate it flat for awhile but it seems the latch on the back wont connect to the top, i cleaned all the ash our and the build up on the little L bracket on the back but it just keeps falling forward now

20221125_120010.jpg

I’m not sure about the PDVC but the impingment plate on my PDV leans forward.

Eric

ok i tried to find out what mode it is in but its shows numbers 1-8, the board its using is out of a 25EPI but this is how fast the auger is turning on 1, so i set the mode to 3? it was on 2

Attachments

• 20221125_164333.mp4
    18.8 MB
There’s your problem. The boards aren’t interchangeable. They look the same, but the chips are programmed differently. You’ll spend forever trying to get it to run right.

Eric

ok so got the correct board back into it, running mode C, 1/4/1 Seems to burn alot more Blacker if that makes any sense and the glass does turn all back after alittle bit of it running and alot of black smoke from exhaust, Mode D seemed to do the same

Startup1.jpg Startup2.jpg

Update - So did a hard reset on the board, put it back into D mode and 6/4/1 is the settings it reverted to, still seems like its feeding the pot way to much, took a air compressor and blew the stove all out, the Black smoke is gone, still getting a really tall flame, when i Press OFF it goes into SD im assuming for shut down, but the auger continues to feed the fire till the hopper is empty, any ideas?

SHUT-DOWN PROCEDURE WARNING: NEVER SHUT DOWN THIS UNIT BY UNPLUGGING IT FROM THE POWER SOURCE. Refer to the following instructions: Press the “OFF” touch pad to put the stove in the “Shut-Down” mode. There will be an “S D” in the Heat Range and Blower Speed windows while the unit is shutting down to verify this. At this time the red light above the “OFF” pad will illuminate. When the “OFF” pad is touched the top auger will instantly stop feeding pellets to the bottom auger tube, but the room air blower, exhaust blower and bottom auger will continue to operate. When the internal temperature drops to 95 degrees the room air blower will cease to operate, and when the internal temperature drops to 90 degrees the bottom auger and exhaust blower will stop. The red light will then shut off and the entire stove will be shut down. The hotter the unit is operating, the longer it will take for the stove to complete the Shut-Down cycle. Note: The unit will exit the Shut-Down cycle if you press any buttons during Shut-Down. Note: If the room temperature stays above 70 degrees the stove will remain in the Shut Down mode for 60 minutes, regardless of the temperature reading at the heat sensor. If the stove stays on longer than 60 minutes the unit will automatically turn off.

SHUT-DOWN PROCEDURE WARNING: NEVER SHUT DOWN THIS UNIT BY UNPLUGGING IT FROM THE POWER SOURCE. Refer to the following instructions: Press the “OFF” touch pad to put the stove in the “Shut-Down” mode. There will be an “S D” in the Heat Range and Blower Speed windows while the unit is shutting down to verify this. At this time the red light above the “OFF” pad will illuminate. When the “OFF” pad is touched the top auger will instantly stop feeding pellets to the bottom auger tube, but the room air blower, exhaust blower and bottom auger will continue to operate. When the internal temperature drops to 95 degrees the room air blower will cease to operate, and when the internal temperature drops to 90 degrees the bottom auger and exhaust blower will stop. The red light will then shut off and the entire stove will be shut down. The hotter the unit is operating, the longer it will take for the stove to complete the Shut-Down cycle. Note: The unit will exit the Shut-Down cycle if you press any buttons during Shut-Down. Note: If the room temperature stays above 70 degrees the stove will remain in the Shut Down mode for 60 minutes, regardless of the temperature reading at the heat sensor. If the stove stays on longer than 60 minutes the unit will automatically turn off.
yeah that dont answer much i know all of that but the 2nd auger directly below the hopper that feeds the main hopper does not stop i have to manually empty all the pellets out of the hopper and let it shut itself down that way as it wont stop feeding it

Maybe the magic smoke escaped from the board
In other words, the board is toast, NFG, burnt, Done
I think you get my meaning
Pull the board and look for a bad tracer or burnt component.

Patience Grasshopper :) The upper auger controls the feed rate the lower auger merely pushes the the pelllets out into the burn pot. In chit down the upper auger should stop feeding pellets and the lower auger by design continues to turn so that it clears the stove of pellets, it's normal after pushing the off button to see pellets getting pushed into the pot for a minute or two. Give it a little time

If you watch the auger motors from the rear you should see the lower one continuously on at about 1 RPM . The upper one will start and stop based on the stove settings to control the feed.

One my 25 PDVC the plate hangs vertical from the inverted "L" bracket on the back with to lower edge behind some tabs. I do have to wiggle it to get it to slide down.

Last edited: