New farm/wood cutting toy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StihlKicking

Feeling the Heat
Jan 12, 2016
Hatchie Bottom, MS
ab0c30da4eb8718a2f68edce3dcf7f39.jpge59625a987e67fa863d1d4e0bb5ebfa8.jpg
I've been studying utvs for a couple years now. Accountant said this year would be a good year to make a farm purchase of this size. I settled on the Kubota and plan on working the guts out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice...

That's a dandy!

You pondered on it for couple of years, care to share why you chose this model? I have a John Deere Gator and it works fine, bought it used. But someday, I might buy another JD or who knows what.

You pondered on it for couple of years, care to share why you chose this model? I have a John Deere Gator and it works fine, bought it used. But someday, I might buy another JD or who knows what.

Payload is 2k and towing capacity is 2200 which is more than anything else I looked into. It has a three cylinder Kubota diesel in it, which should outlive the machine or me for that matter. Most UTVs have a belt driven transmission and are in general built on golf cart technology. This machine has a tractor engine,transmission, and rear end. It has hydraulic steering, hydraulic dump bed and hydraulic hook ups on the back which can power an implement i.e. Hay rake, wood splitter, post driver ect. Also it has independent suspension wit 12 inches of ground clearance and 8 inches of travel.

I'm not trying to make a case that this machine is the best on the market or anything like that but for my applications I believe that it will serve me the best. It is a straight work horse, with a top speed of 26 mph.

How is engine noise, is it loud to you?

At idle it seems comparable if not slightly louder than other UTVs I have experience with. At full throttle it seem quieter.

The downside to the Kubota diesel utv is they are pretty much 90% workshorse and very little play like the john deere. They don't double duty as well as some of the other UTV's. Which is fine in my book.

Reactions: StihlKicking
The downside to the Kubota diesel utv is they are pretty much 90% workshorse and very little play like the john deere. They don't double duty as well as some of the other UTV's. Which is fine in my book.

I agree. It's slow and heavy. Probably not good in deep mud even though it does fine in a muddy pasture. It will tote a ton up a hill like a mountain goat though.

I had the pleasure of using the Kubota for a handful of years on road construction (grading) jobs. It was a beast. Sipped fuel. Plowed through scraper and haul truck ruts etc. Daily. Replaced one front U-joint on the front drive shaft. My previous machine was the Deere. The Deere was a tinker toy with a gasoline addiction. Noooooo good for being worked 12 hr days. You chose correctly for a work application in my opinion. And only a opinion:p

We have those kubota so at work, they are tanks built tough very good machines. Just don't get it buried. They are very tough, just heavy. We also have the Polaris rangers faster but not built very tough they brake all the time. A very nice machine, do you have the winch? If not it's not a bad thing to look into getting.

We have a Bobcat UTV with a Kubota diesel engine. It is actually built by Polaris as their heavy duty UTV with hydraulic drive, dump and steering also. Works well on the jobsite where we use it on long concrete paving projects. I had it in the ditches in some serious mud and hanging up on rip rap and it always made it through. Feels funny not getting the momentum as with the lighter ones.

I would guess the Kubota is built a little tougher, but compared to a belt driven one a hyrastatic it is night and day if you are going to actually work the thing.

We have those kubota so at work, they are tanks built tough very good machines. Just don't get it buried. They are very tough, just heavy. We also have the Polaris rangers faster but not built very tough they brake all the time. A very nice machine, do you have the winch? If not it's not a bad thing to look into getting.

I did not get a winch, my thinking was that if I didn't have one I would be more careful where I put it. More than likely I will end up getting one if getting stuck becomes a problem. So far so good.

We have a Bobcat UTV with a Kubota diesel engine. It is actually built by Polaris as their heavy duty UTV with hydraulic drive, dump and steering also. Works well on the jobsite where we use it on long concrete paving projects. I had it in the ditches in some serious mud and hanging up on rip rap and it always made it through. Feels funny not getting the momentum as with the lighter ones.

I would guess the Kubota is built a little tougher, but compared to a belt driven one a hyrastatic it is night and day if you are going to actually work the thing.

My cousin has a gas burner bobcat he uses on the farm. I'm not sure who built the engine in it or if it's hydrostatic or not. It seems like a pretty tough machine and he likes it a lot. I know some of the Kubota gas burners are hydrostatic and some are belt driven.

You could install a winch on this

upload_2017-3-28_6-26-0.jpeg

giving you the option to use it front and back,That's if you can install a 2" receiver on the front .

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyman