Q&A New fireplace first time use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Great site! I have a brand new heatilator fireplace that has a full chimney. The fireplace is equipped with a gas log starter or for use with a gas log set.

Is there any special type/size fire I should have the first or first few times I use the fireplace? Can the gas starter be used once the fire is going, to help keep the fire at a consistent level?

Answer:

It's always a good idea to burn the first few fires at a low or moderate level. This drives the moisture out of any ceramic liners and assures that the paint will cure well.

As far as the gas starter, I would only use it to start the fire. I am actually a bit leery of these things because there is really no safety device attached to them (i.e. - one could leave it on) - my suggestion would be to have some dry kindling around to freshen the fire. Read the tips at https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html and you'll be an expert soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.