New Fireplace Install - Hearthstone WFP75

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

raiderfan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 1, 2008
Western MA
*I posted this in the Stove Sub Forum on accident so attempting to move it here*

So we finally got around to replacing our Winterwarm Large unit that came with our house. It has been in process for over two years!

Where we started....
71E10CE9-C64C-4919-9E88-B94E2F283371.jpeg

One of our Break-In fires
A2CBA6D9-C7A9-4A8D-B961-E6F401D621D3.jpeg 6F886050-1696-4079-9516-2EBB3BEA4A01.jpeg

Cherry Mantel hung -- Hearth to come next....
1912D9CC-B646-4D91-9E10-025F31D4D0A6.jpeg

Bluestone Hearth installed. Slate tile to go on in front next...

13F0E9C5-49A2-4C1C-AA33-24B896466F8B.jpeg

Finished..

21B06747-9554-433A-9A5D-5E038BAF9F3F.jpegimage.jpg

*Haven't been able to really try it out yet (minus the break ins). Seemed to be leaking air during the break ins, primary air lever not making much difference. Tried the dollar bill test and it failed terribly. Adjustments to hinges and handle did not work, either. So a Hearthstone Stove Tech came out today and said my handle was bad and that I need a new one on order. So we now will wait for that.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
Looks great. I'll be interested to see how it turns out keeping you warm. I am looking at the same model to replace an old Heatilator ZC in a corner install. I've got a lot more demo work involved, so its on hold for another couple years. Either this or demo it all and put in a stove. I like the fireplace look instead.

Looks great. I'll be interested to see how it turns out keeping you warm. I am looking at the same model to replace an old Heatilator ZC in a corner install. I've got a lot more demo work involved, so its on hold for another couple years. Either this or demo it all and put in a stove. I like the fireplace look instead.
Thank you! I am hoping it heats the same or better as the Winterwarm unit. The BTU rating was much larger for this unit compared to the WW. I am not sure of the WW firebox size, cubic foot wise (can't find it listed anywhere). But the next size up for this unit (and others) was huge. So we decided to go with this and the 2.5cuft size. I'm just hoping this new door handle does the trick to get this door to seal. Never would have thought a brand new stove/fireplace would fail the dollar bill test! :mad:

That is odd and frustrating. that a new door wouldn't seal properly. You have any more demo pictures? I've read thru the manual, and my local county permitting guidelines. Major PITA. Did you do most of the work yourself?

I don't really have any demo pics. I'm not good at thinking about those things with any reno, until its too late (and I always regret it!) The only thing I did myself was to finish the rough cut mantel. Everything else was done by my brother in law's chimney company and inspected by my local building inspector.

And YES -- totally frustrating to not have it seal properly being brand new! Especially when the "Quality Control" checklist that came with the stove states otherwise 🙄🤨

Gorgeous! So far we are enjoying our new Heartstone Clydesdale — seems to be a good brand.
Good to hear. I've only had Jotul and PE for wood burning stoves in the past. PE wasn't an option for me this time around, so I went with the Hearthstone Montgomery. Seems to be built well. (Minus the damn door handle)

Question: So obviously a magnetic thermometer like I used on my Alderlea T5 to monitor temps would not be appropriate for this type of unit. So I picked up a IR Thermometer for that type of purpose. Where am I to point that? Right at the stove glass? Or at the corner of the stove door? Thanks.

Question: So obviously a magnetic thermometer like I used on my Alderlea T5 to monitor temps would not be appropriate for this type of unit. So I picked up a IR Thermometer for that type of purpose. Where am I to point that? Right at the stove glass? Or at the corner of the stove door? Thanks.
I use an IR thermometer and point it at the soapstones on the sides. When it hits 600 deg F I’m good to go.

Reactions: raiderfan
UPDATE:

So we are still dealing with this door not sealing issue (failed dollar bill test). Stove technician came out and replaced the handle, made adjustments to the new handle and the hinges and the door still failed. He then called Hearthstone directly from his cell phone and they wanted him to send a video to them. So he took a video of it still failing and I now wait to hear back.

I still feel I get decent burn times and will end up with some coals to start a fire in the AM, so it is not completely terrible. But still frustrating, nonetheless. If it is not the handle or hinges (door alignment) then could it be the new, factory installed gasket?? Or are all stoves not supposed to pass the dollar bill test? I'm completely puzzled.

Or are all stoves not supposed to pass the dollar bill test?
No, all stoves should be able to pass the dollar bill test. The gasket is not sealing if leaky. That is the point of having a gasket on the door.

PS: Try taking the temp reading on the top of the door frame. Reading off the glass isn't going to provide a meaningful reading. Or, if the fireplace top is visible through the arched top vents, then you might be able to get a reading there.

Thank you! I thought of the "through the vent to stove top" but didn't know if going through the vent would mess that up.

Well.. Maybe they will regasket the door. I'll wait and see, I guess.

They may try going up a size with the gasket. Getting a good seal is more of a challenge on the big doors of a fireplace.

If you can get a straight shot at the firebox top through the vent it should provide a good reading.

They may try going up a size with the gasket. Getting a good seal is more of a challenge on the big doors of a fireplace.

If you can get a straight shot at the firebox top through the vent it should provide a good reading.
Thanks BG

UPDATE:

Hearthstone is sending me a whole new door for the fireplace. 🤷‍♀️ Guess we will try that. I was thinking a bigger gasket before something like this, but whatever. At least they are trying.