New Fireplace Tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Picked up a new set of fireplace tools (tongs, poker, shovel and broom) at Tractor Supply the other day...couldn't resis the closeout for $10. Went home and had to shovel out the stove almost right away, as usual some good coals came out with the ash and the darn shovel just started smoking like mad. I'm fairly certain it was the paint burning off. Went outside and put it in the snow to cool it off.

What can I do to get past this and be able to just use the darn tools? Just put it in and let it burn it off? Live with the smell and it'll lessen over time? Burn it with a torch?

For obvious reasons, Mrs Mayhem is unhappy with this situation and therefore me as well.

get the outdoor firepit all fired up and put the tools to work out there to burn it off.....or they are decorations and were never intended to be put to work, like wax fruit.....only not wax (hopefully) and not fruit.

My tools are so old that I can't even think about new ones. They were left with the house (a 1957 split level) when I bought it. In any case, I would think about buying such items at a garage sale rather than a store.

Seems like all these tools tend to have the paint burn off them . . . or at least cure a bit. I would either keep using them or make Mrs. Mayhem happy and do as Delta suggested -- burn the crud off outside.

The Mrs and the kid had a Brownie meeting last night so after sunset when I went inside I opened the door and shoved the shovel into the coals for about 10 minutes to burn the paint right off. It sure did that and then some. The whole lower third of the shovel was glowing red. Walked it outside and shoved it into the snow to cool it off. Now the shovel tends to flex when I use it...seems the paint was actullay load bearing paint.

It should surprise noone to find out that you actually get what you pay for. Gonna call TSC and see if they'll do an exchaneg and I'll pay the extra to upgrade to a better grade. I liked this set because the tools end in a loop that you hang on the rack and the more expensive ones have a handle end that goes into a slot on the rack. I like the loop because its easier to be quiet when using the tools and the family is asleep.

You should have just let that shovel cool normally instead of the snow trick. I bought an $80 set at Costco about 8 years ago. It looked pretty then and still does now. There was no paint to burn off for sure. Don't even think it smoked or anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.