New flue installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

g.east

Dec 22, 2022
Freshwater Isle of wight
I'm installing an old Scandi 5kw Morso in our wooden summerhouse. I have the stove a metre away from the nearest 2 inch thick outer wooden wall and will also put a cement board shield on the wall. I'm putting a 45 degree bend on the first metre length of single wal pipe l from the top of the stove, and my problem will be getting the next length through the wooden wall to outside. I thought about making an overlarge hole and then wrapping two or three inches of heat resistant material around the single skin flue, but I hear you must have nothing touching the flue pipe. A short piece of double skin/wall pipe looks to be around £90, which I will pay if it will bring the temperature down sufficiently. Any ideas or a solution would be more than gratefully accepted. We would only use the stove when in the summerhouse ( my wife paints there a couple of hours a day) and the temp of the pipe and nearby wood wall would be constantly monitored and a fire extinguisher kept handy! Just can't figure out precisely how to get the 45 degree pipe safely through the wooden wall. We've installed half a dozen stoves in France, but all went either up the chimney or through 2ft thick stone walls! Thanks in advance.

A stovepipe (either single or double-wall) can not pass through a wall or ceiling. It is only for use in the room that the stove is in. Class A chimney pipe must be used through the wall with an appropriate pass-through wall thimble for that chimney pipe. This connects to a class A chimney tee and then it is chimney pipe only all the way up.
simpson_wall_thimble.JPG

If you are going through a wall you need a wall thimble, then transition to class a chimney outside. Any reason not to go straight up through the roof?

Hi, so you don’t want singlewall pipe touching the wood. Ever.

What kind of chimney are you attaching to?

If you have a masonry chimney outside you can use an insulated thimble like this.