New Full Season Burn Planning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a clear plastic runner under our wood holder make cleaning easier. I dunno know about cutting a hole in the side of your house.

Burning wood is messy...that's the nature of the beast. The trade off is that you can be as hot as you like when it's cold out and also save tons of coin.

We use a muck bucket with a muck bucket kart. Great device on wheels - we can bring in 25 or so logs( HMPL) with ease. It is clean and comes right in the house. Bought the outfit at the Cenex Farm Supply but I am sure it is available everywhere.

I would consider cutting the carpet back and laying tile under and in front of the wood stove. If you can put durarock down 1st it will help keep the tile from cracking. This will also act as a heat sink. My family room is all red quarry tile. It's not that expensive if you do it yourself.
Doug

Not much to add, except my carpet is crap, so the wife let's me bring in the wheelbarrow full of wood right to the storage area under the stairs. This summer, new hearth and flooring may change her mind. I hope not, as the wheelbarrow thing is a HELL of of a lot easier the trucking in armloads of wood.(1/2 face cord storage)

My wife and I worked out our wood management protocol this winter. We have multiple cords stacked in wood or metal racks adjacent to our house. My wife and I use a dedicated cart to transport enough splits (3 loads/ 450lbs) to fill a large storage ring near our front door, located over tile. We transport wood to a smaller storage rack next to the stove, sitting on a large tile hearth, using the nylon "sling" that came with it. We feed the stove directly from this small rack. Our process allows wood to dry in the large wood rack all week, and as long as we re-stock on Suday afternoon, we never run out of dry fire-ready wood inside the house. A small vacuum cleans up any debris that falls onto the tile.

I won't have any problem right now, with wood residuals........haven't ordered my "next years burn" wood yet anyway......

I'm hoping to order 3 cords in mid summer, and get em stacked two outside on pallets, one in the garage, and overflo in the ring in the living room.

Let's hope there's "reasonably" seasoned wood out there, "mid summer" for me to BUY!!

-Soupy1957

How come nobody suggested changing wives? 32 years - that should be long enough to learn to use a vacuum.
If you let my wife see this - I'll say my account was hijacked.

No carpet . . . only a wood floor in the living room where the stove is located. However, I use a canvas carrier to bring the wood inside and the wood is stored in a woodbox . . . that said . . . there is still a mess that I end up sweeping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.