New Furnace Day: Drolet Heat Commander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm curious to know the same and also if a larger size like the Max Caddy will come along and meet the 2020 standard. I saw on the EPA's site that the Caddy Advanced and Caddy Advanced CR were approved so they must be around the corner although they are not on PSG's site yet. No mention of the difference between the two on the EPA's list. I wonder if one is larger or if the CR indicates a dual fuel unit like the previous Caddy combo units or...?

So I assume the Heat Commander is just the first of the new fleet of smart wood furnaces to come...Heatpro, Heatpack, the Caddy line?

There may or may not be a number of other SBI-family furnaces listed in the firmware binary file for the Heat Commander... ;-)

Question: does the fields baro negatively effect the draft when it's calm out and outside temps is around 40 degrees? In these conditions I barely get -.04. I added some chimney pipe and now it's just under -.05. Will adding the baro drop that any?

Question: does the fields baro negatively effect the draft when it's calm out and outside temps is around 40 degrees? In these conditions I barely get -.04. I added some chimney pipe and now it's just under -.05. Will adding the baro drop that any?
No...if the draft is less than your setpoint, the flap will be closed...or very nearly so.
I tried running without a baro to see if my warm weather draft went up...didn't notice a difference, and missed having the baro, so next chance I had I put it back in.
My sister has a shorter chimney than I do and her draft is normally not overkill...so she keeps the baro opening covered with HD aluminum foil until there is a windy or exceptionally cold day that seems to warrant some draft control. Keeping it covered is not an attempt at raising the draft as much as it is to limit creosote...she seems to have problems getting the whole family to grasp "only bring in the DRY firewood" and the chimney shows it sometimes...usually calls me several times a winter with "my furnace isn't working good"...my first reponse is always "are you feeding it dry wood?!" which I generally get a "I dunno" :rolleyes:

No...if the draft is less than your setpoint, the flap will be closed...or very nearly so.
I tried running without a baro to see if my warm weather draft went up...didn't notice a difference, and missed having the baro, so next chance I had I put it back in.
My sister has a shorter chimney than I do and her draft is normally not overkill...so she keeps the baro opening covered with HD aluminum foil until there is a windy or exceptionally cold day that seems to warrant some draft control. Keeping it covered is not an attempt at raising the draft as much as it is to limit creosote...she seems to have problems getting the whole family to grasp "only bring in the DRY firewood" and the chimney shows it sometimes...usually calls me several times a winter with "my furnace isn't working good"...my first reponse is always "are you feeding it dry wood?!" which I generally get a "I dunno" :rolleyes:
That sounds good! Wish the weather would stay cold! We had to shut it down the last three days! Haha dang kids! That would drive me crazy!

When installing the fields baro. Can it fit into a double wall T. Or do I need to cut a hole into a straight double wall pipe and attach it with the T kit that comes with the baro. Never used one or seen one in action. Sorry for the newbie questions!

When installing the fields baro. Can it fit into a double wall T. Or do I need to cut a hole into a straight double wall pipe and attach it with the T kit that comes with the baro. Never used one or seen one in action. Sorry for the newbie questions!
I would think it would slip into a doublewall tee...probably...might depend on the brand somewhat? I myself have never used doublewall on the furnace...I have a little amish metal shop near here that makes 4' long stainless singlewall for about the same price as most stores sell that junk clip together 2' long steel stuff...I just wrap it with some spare chimney liner insulation to help keep it warm like doublewall does.
Do not try to cut into the doublewall...I don't think their collar adapter would fit the DW's larger OD, plus the air gap between the inner and outer layer would be an uncontrolled air leak...not to mention a potential place for soot/creosote to accumulate...and that would be almost impossible to clean out.

I would think it would slip into a doublewall tee...probably...might depend on the brand somewhat? I myself have never used doublewall on the furnace...I have a little amish metal shop near here that makes 4' long stainless singlewall for about the same price as most stores sell that junk clip together 2' long steel stuff...I just wrap it with some spare chimney liner insulation to help keep it warm like doublewall does.
Do not try to cut into the doublewall...I don't think their collar adapter would fit the DW's larger OD, plus the air gap between the inner and outer layer would be an uncontrolled air leak...not to mention a potential place for soot/creosote to accumulate...and that would be almost impossible to clean out.
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

What you think? It's set on the inner tube of the DW. Maybe some high temp caulk and some HVAC tape on the outside. Looks like the T I took off. The selkirk DW is also SS.

Attachments

• 1214201653.jpg
    1214201653.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 1214201659.jpg
    1214201659.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: sloeffle
What you think? It's set on the inner tube of the DW. Maybe some high temp caulk and some HVAC tape on the outside. Looks like the T I took off. The selkirk DW is also SS.
Looks good from here! ;lol
If you are happy with the way its fitted up, then roll!
That was probably a PITA to cut out, no? Especially being SS...

Hey everyone, first I just wanted to say thanks to everybody that contributes to this site. I found the forums last winter when I started looking at buying a cheap Shelter model at Menards. Thankfully I came here first and was quickly educated on how much I probably shouldn't do that.

The idea for a wood furnace came back to mind a few days ago and I started looking and researching again and I think I'll be clicking BUY on one of these Wood Commanders very soon. I can only hope that they learned from some of the pains with the early Tundra's and there won't be cracking problems with this model. Hopefully one of you guys are able to get yours installed and have it running for a few days to be able to speak to the performance.

I haven't seen anyone mention it on here yet but when I looked at Drolet's website, I see they have a $300 rebate available if you purchase a Wood Commander before the end of this month. I also saw a link on MFP's website to a $300 Tax Credit that is available as well, which takes the price of this thing down to $1999.

Looking forward to everything that the new Heat Commander owners have to say about them!
I wish I had found this forum sooner as I had already purchased the shelter furnace. Installed it and ran it a few times. Its finicky to say the least and a glowing orange door and smoke entering the room had me concerned enough to never run it again. I've been following this thread for a while and waiting to pull the trigger on the HC. We currently have a Drolet Myriad II on our main floor and it performs great. Just not enough to heat our entire 3700sqft ranch home. And with all the work I put into running a chimney from the basement through the roof, I'd like to find a unit I can swap it out with

Attachments

• 20201203_163533.jpg
    20201203_163533.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 20201211_174721.jpg
    20201211_174721.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: Gearhead660
Looks good from here! ;lol
If you are happy with the way its fitted up, then roll!
That was probably a PITA to cut out, no? Especially being SS...
10 minutes with the dremel! 4 rivets and flip the tabs! Dang T was like $60, but just went for it. Haha

I wish I had found this forum sooner as I had already purchased the shelter furnace. Installed it and ran it a few times. Its finicky to say the least and a glowing orange door and smoke entering the room had me concerned enough to never run it again. I've been following this thread for a while and waiting to pull the trigger on the HC. We currently have a Drolet Myriad II on our main floor and it performs great. Just not enough to heat our entire 3700sqft ranch home. And with all the work I put into running a chimney from the basement through the roof, I'd like to find a unit I can swap it out with
Dang, I wish y'all would gang up and file a class action suit against HY-C on those things! The EPA has determined their 2020 test was bogus, and yet they are still selling them...I don't get it! Now that I think about it... sounds a lot like a recent election...

Wow that door has to be scorching hot to be glowing that red. Thats crazy!

Reactions: Rockstar1346
Sell that POS Shelter. Feel free to check out my Heat Commander if you get North.

Eric

Reactions: Case1030
Sell that POS Shelter. Feel free to check out my Heat Commander if you get North.

Eric
Hey thanks, Eric! I might have to take you up on your offer seeing as you may not be just too far away. I don't even know if I could sell it to someone knowing that its a hazard. I also have recently read all the posts (hundreds) on the shelter thread. Scary sh*t!

I wish I had found this forum sooner as I had already purchased the shelter furnace. Installed it and ran it a few times. Its finicky to say the least and a glowing orange door and smoke entering the room had me ...

WHOA! What maddness is that...

That's a very warm furnace.

Dang, I wish y'all would gang up and file a class action suit against HY-C on those things! The EPA has determined their 2020 test was bogus, and yet they are still selling them...I don't get it! Now that I think about it... sounds a lot like a recent election...

Without getting into a debate with others. I agree something really fishy is going on!! ::P

Dang man sorry to read this! How can they sell these junk ass furnaces?

I walked past one at Menards today. Until the EPA makes the call and enforces it there will be many unknowing people who will purchase one thinking they just 'saved big money at Menards!'
And every other tomdicknharry store too...cuz its the only elcheapo furnace left! Too bad they are such POS!!!!

Reactions: Case1030 and Matt78