New Furnace Day: Drolet Heat Commander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is an issue I currently face. Not enough heat when burning down coals with the Heatmax 2. Nice to see they changed things up.
I can't remember, do you have the speed control added on? That can make a big difference in maximizing the heat at the end of the fire when the blower starts to cycle on/off...it really helps keep the house from cooling off so fast before the next load can be put in...I expected that it was going to help...but I wasn't expecting how much it helped.

Reactions: sloeffle
I'd love to have an automated furnace,
You still have the option of adding the temp controller setup...makes it "load n go", it really does...

You still have the option of adding the temp controller setup...makes it "load n go", it really does...
I should, it's just the wiring scares me lol! Coming from someone who put a 200 amp box in the home. What's would be the cost? I should just have you put one together and I'll install it lol.

I should, it's just the wiring scares me lol! Coming from someone who put a 200 amp box in the home. What's would be the cost? I should just have you put one together and I'll install it lol.
Under $100 for parts I'd say...and that's even with upgrading to a Auber controller, instead of the Mypins many of us used...I'd help ya with it, no problem...it's really not that hard at all...heck, I'd even drive over for the install if I can break away for a few hours some Saturday....

Reactions: sloeffle
I was just thinking the same. My draft is around -.04 to -.05 probably closer to -.04 I did just notice I kept some coals around the grate after raking them. That made a huge difference for the secondaries when the air come from grate after pushing the green button!

Are you hitting the reload button outside of actual reloads? That would definitely open the grill shutter outside of the logic parameters (which we don't know because SBI doesn't seem keen to share them).

If you're doing that, what is your intent and outcome?

I'm jealous lol! I'd love to try the new furnace, but with tightening the house it's made a big difference for us. I loaded at 9pm last night and 9am had enough coals to get the furnace going. 30 degrees out and 72 after 12 hours. I'd love to have an automated furnace, but I cannot complain as the house gets tighter. The new furnace sounds very impressive!
I was going to tighten ours up, now I'm not to sure! Lol

Are you hitting the reload button outside of actual reloads? That would definitely open the grill shutter outside of the logic parameters (which we don't know because SBI doesn't seem keen to share them).

If you're doing that, what is your intent and outcome?
I've tried this and the light flashes at you and nothing happens. I think they've thought of people doing this. Probably a good thing!

Reactions: FixedGearFlyer
Wear a
Under $100 for parts I'd say...and that's even with upgrading to a Auber controller, instead of the Mypins many of us used...I'd help ya with it, no problem...it's really not that hard at all...heck, I'd even drive over for the install if I can break away for a few hours some Saturday....
Wear a Mask! Haha

Reactions: brenndatomu
I was just thinking the same. My draft is around -.04 to -.05 probably closer to -.04 I did just notice I kept some coals around the grate after raking them. That made a huge difference for the secondaries when the air come from grate after pushing the green button!
Fixedgearflyer this was on a normal load. light was off indicating a relight. I left coals around grate at begging of load.

Reactions: FixedGearFlyer
Eric

After I get my new manometer I'll give you my Dwyer mark II. Just pay for shipping and I'll send it to ya man!

It costs about $6-8 to ship them USPS first class with tracking and $50 insurance...I had a whole box of them (NOS) I sold on here some years back...shipped them all over the country...I think the highest shipping cost was $8.50-8.75....something like that...and that one had a long ride...

I can't remember, do you have the speed control added on? That can make a big difference in maximizing the heat at the end of the fire when the blower starts to cycle on/off...it really helps keep the house from cooling off so fast before the next load can be put in...I expected that it was going to help...but I wasn't expecting how much it helped.

No, that is probably the only mod I haven't done. With the 4 speed blower on the Heatmax 2 I wasn't really sure how to wire this one up. Seemed a little more intimidating than the temp controller.

Reactions: andym
I might sell my controller if someone's interested? I Might put my T1 back to factory. Especially if I sell the T1

Reactions: laynes69
I might sell my controller if someone's interested? I Might put my T1 back to factory. Especially if I sell the T1
They sell better with mods intact...I didn't even advertise mine, someone on here found out that I was selling it, that was that.
He just text me a few weeks back after firing up for the first time this fall...they still love it!

They sell better with mods intact...I didn't even advertise mine, someone on here found out that I was selling it, that was that.
He just text me a few weeks back after firing up for the first time this fall...they still love it!
How ya put the word out? I'll sell my whole unit if someones interested

No, that is probably the only mod I haven't done. With the 4 speed blower on the Heatmax 2 I wasn't really sure how to wire this one up. Seemed a little more intimidating than the temp controller.
Its been done...not having done it myself I will leave the details to someone else...if nobody volunteers, PM me, I'll hook you up with someone that's done it.

Last edited:
How ya put the word out? I'll sell my whole unit if someones interested
Just like that...it just came up in a reply I made somewhere, next thing I know...
I did have the cracks welded before it left...I never fooled with them while it was installed.

Reactions: Matt78
I sold my T1 on Facebook Marketplace a few weeks back, right after my Heat Commander arrived. The guy had a tree trimming business so I'm sure he had all the free green wood he wanted. I cautioned him on burning anything even remotely green and went over how newer EPA furnaces worked compared to old smoke dragons.
A few days later he messaged me and said he showed up to his work shop at the end of the day and the whole shop was full of smoke!

Eric

I've tried this and the light flashes at you and nothing happens. I think they've thought of people doing this. Probably a good thing!

There might be an update from SBI that allows you to reload when the green light is still on and it temporarily shuts off the blower fan to reduce smoke spillage and ash mess...

Eric

If you guys do that, and @laynes69 doesn't care I'd like to watch you set it up. I've never been able to get mine working on my Caddy like they did on the T1. Is the Auber controller a lot easier to understand / setup ?

I have an Auber 200 that I just put on the wood stove and it is a lot easier to set up...if this is the one others are using on their furnaces.

Is the Auber controller a lot easier to understand / setup ?
Looks like it to me...when I first setup the Mypin, I really struggled with that skimpy "chinglish" manual...

Reactions: andym
If you guys do that, and @laynes69 doesn't care I'd like to watch you set it up. I've never been able to get mine working on my Caddy like they did on the T1. Is the Auber controller a lot easier to understand / setup ?
It may not be for a bit....I'll have to talk to the wife lol.

Do you have a link to what you bought ? I found Auber's web site but I am clueless ( IT nerd here ) to what I might need.
These are the ones I was looking at...