New Furnace Day: Drolet Heat Commander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yep, I'm in the habit now of looking at the shutters. Keep a flashlight next to the furnace just for that purpose. I think this little glitch also affects the coal burn down feature. I've looked before when there is a call for heat, no heat available, and a good amount of coals in the firebox. Both shutters are closed. To me they should be open in that scenario.

Reactions: Rockstar1346
Yep, I'm in the habit now of looking at the shutters. Keep a flashlight next to the furnace just for that purpose. I think this little glitch also affects the coal burn down feature. I've looked before when there is a call for heat, no heat available, and a good amount of coals in the firebox. Both shutters are closed. To me they should be open in that scenario.
Yupp I hear ya I’ve had that have you had it happen when the firebox is completely cold?

Yes that's when it happens is on a cold firebox. Shutters are closed and pressing the button doesn't open them. Doesn't happen every time. So far unplugging and plugging back in has worked.

Yes that's when it happens is on a cold firebox. Shutters are closed and pressing the button doesn't open them. Doesn't happen every time. So far unplugging and plugging back in has worked.
Button doesn't light up, nothing? I wonder if it could be a bad connection in the "start" circuit...or even the button itself?
I would imagine that if you had the controls cover off and someone watching when you hit it, there may be a light on the board that would acknowledge getting a start signal from the button? (or not) Dunno, just a guess...

Button doesn't light up, nothing? I wonder if it could be a bad connection in the "start" circuit...or even the button itself?
I would imagine that if you had the controls cover off and someone watching when you hit it, there may be a light on the board that would acknowledge getting a start signal from the button? (or not) Dunno, just a guess...
No, I don't think it's hardware related.

Super warm here today so no fire. Walked by the HC earlier and hit the button, heard both shutters open up. Its sporadic, the worst kind of problem to try and figure out.

I bought one soon after they started shipping last year and quickly started noticing this same issue. I contacted Drolet about it and after some back and forth they sent me a firmware update to load onto a USB drive and flash into the control board. Haven’t had the issue since, shutters go full close then wide open every time you press the start button now.

I would have thought they would have quickly put this new firmware into the units being produced, I’m surprised that if you recently purchased yours that it wouldn’t have good firmware in it, if this issue was fixed over a year ago.

I bought one soon after they started shipping last year and quickly started noticing this same issue. I contacted Drolet about it and after some back and forth they sent me a firmware update to load onto a USB drive and flash into the control board. Haven’t had the issue since, shutters go full close then wide open every time you press the start button now.

I would have thought they would have quickly put this new firmware into the units being produced, I’m surprised that if you recently purchased yours that it wouldn’t have good firmware in it, if this issue was fixed over a year ago.
Thanks! Will be in touch with them.

I don’t think either, if it was it wouldn’t be more than a couple experiencing it. I just think it’s software or a parameter with the sensors that they didn’t account for. I’ll try to get a video for everyone next time it happens. Like I said it’s occasional so might be a bit.
Hi all,

we are trying to figure out what and when it's happening. Looks like some don't have this isssue and others have it occasionnaly. We will keep you updated.

Thanks,

Nicolas

Just got my new heat commander and am working to install. I noticed the door doesn’t seem to seal very well on the hinge side. I have adjusted the right side as much as I can but I can still see a gap between the gasket and stove on the hinge side. Doesn’t appear to be any adjustments on that side. Suggestions?
44609ADB-CE69-4E17-9D1C-66BCA6DDEA9F.jpeg

What kind of planum temps do you guys see on the HC? I've been keeping track of my old school wood furnace and I'm curious how my plenum temps compare to a more efficient furnace. Specifically the temp rise from return to supply

What kind of planum temps do you guys see on the HC? I've been keeping track of my old school wood furnace and I'm curious how my plenum temps compare to a more efficient furnace. Specifically the temp rise from return to supply
Old school usually run hotter (but for less time) the HC runs ~90-120* with a call for heat (runs almost full time) and ~120 to 170 (180?) (cycles on/off) when there is not a call for heat

Old school usually run hotter (but for less time) the HC runs ~90-120* with a call for heat (runs almost full time) and ~120 to 170 (180?) (cycles on/off) when there is not a call for heat
Those temps are almost exactly what I see on my HC, 90-120*F until power save mode is met, then blower cycles on/off but will not kick on until 180*.

Eric

Anyone had an issue where the primary air shutter just keeps slamming against its stop instead of opening when the reload button is pushed? Cycling the power makes no difference...

Well, you can hear it repeatedly slamming against the stop, and you can see it through the vent slots using a flashlight...

How do you check? Do I need to take the back off to see it? When I hit the button I can hear it but don’t see much change in the flame
The primary air shutter is the one that's more so in the center...the one closest to the right side (as you stand looking through the window) is for the under grate air...

On mine the under grate air shudder is the one on the left if you are facing the rear of the furnace. I look at mine through the right side grate(right from rear). The primary shudder is closest. Secondary air intake in middle, no shudder on that just an open hole. Under grate air farthest away.

the under grate air shudder is the one on the left if you are facing the rear of the furnace.
Yup...left if facing the rear, or on the right as you face the front.

I did have a new one yesterday. Got home, house was 67. Thermostat was set for 69. Green light was on solid, which is supposed to mean heat available and call for heat, blower should be on. Blower was not on, shudders were closed, and there was still some nice coaling chunks of wood in there. I pressed the button to wake it up, but i don't know what that was about.