New Furnace Day: Drolet Heat Commander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Slide it over what kind of surface?
From my driveway across my front lawn down a little slop, not much to my basement door, I hoping to lay down 2x8's or something and slide it, generally my front yard is pretty hard and the truck could get pretty close to the basement door, but a few days ago we got almost 2 feet of snow, yesterday and last night we had enough rain to rain all the snow away and then some,so everything is a little soupy

Hey guy's another question, My furnace is at the local shipping company ready to be delivered, fast shipping , From the pics i seen its hard to see whats on the bottom of them, do they have feet or a runner on them, I'm hoping to be able to slide the furnace on some 2x8's or something. I have about 70-80 feet from where it will be dropped off to my basement door, I was hoping to slide it. how did you guys move yours? open to ideas lol
This is how it comes on a pallet with sides all around it. It also comes with ply wood sides but I removed them so I could get a picture. But to move I’m lucky enough to be in the business that moves a lot of heavy things so it took about 6 of us but we picked the front up put it on a furniture dolly then lifted the back by the blower and got it on one wheeler it to my back stairs and there’s feet on the bottom that are screwed to the pallet we screwed it to a sheet of plywood hooked 3 ropes to it. 3 people at the top and 3 at the bottom of it this thing is extremely heavy and you will need a lot of help to move it.

D13B3C25-199D-4B5D-9BCE-7A4D7237EA6B.jpeg

Reactions: sloeffle and NSGUY
From my driveway across my front lawn down a little slop, not much to my basement door, I hoping to lay down 2x8's or something and slide it, generally my front yard is pretty hard and the truck could get pretty close to the basement door, but a few days ago we got almost 2 feet of snow, yesterday and last night we had enough rain to rain all the snow away and then some,so everything is a little soupy
Sounds like some 2x8"s would make a good surface to slide on...you'd have 4 of them so you can "leapfrog" as you go?
Another technique I like is to use pipe as rollers...2 pieces of 1"x 36"(ish) pipe can be leapfrogged front to rear if you have a solid surface to roll on (those 2x8s should qualify)

Hey guy's another question, My furnace is at the local shipping company ready to be delivered, fast shipping , From the pics i seen its hard to see whats on the bottom of them, do they have feet or a runner on them, I'm hoping to be able to slide the furnace on some 2x8's or something. I have about 70-80 feet from where it will be dropped off to my basement door, I was hoping to slide it. how did you guys move yours? open to ideas lol
I think I used a couple boards screwed to the bottom of the furnace. Reuse boards from the pallet and use the same location that the factory secured the furnace to the pallet.

I used my ATV and winch to lower the furnace on a n appliance dolly down my garage to basement steps.

Eric

I think I used a couple boards screwed to the bottom of the furnace. Reuse boards from the pallet and use the same location that the factory secured the furnace to the pallet.

I used my ATV and winch to lower the furnace on a n appliance dolly down my garage to basement steps.

Eric
Thanks, After thinking some more tonight, I was thinking along the same lines as you, I think I might lay down my boards, maybe a cooking oil on them and winch the pallet and everything right across them. just leap frogging my boards. then just man handle it right in the basement.

Too bad that snow went away...pack it down a lil and turn that crate into a sleigh!

Reactions: NSGUY
I used round wood "broom handles" to roll it. How do you plan to physically get it off the pallet?

On another subject. Update on burn times.. (burn time defined as time wood first lights to the time it is down to coals and still able to light a new load). I did my first load running the wood east / west (parallel to the front). I would not recommend doing this without coals burning. This morning it is still 70 - 72 in the 4500 sqft house and the plenum is very hot to touch (that's my check to see how much heat I'll get with blower running...hahaha).

I loaded with fairly large splits of oak 6+ inches. Keep in mind the furnace was hot and the house was already up to temp.
Loaded at 6PM last night. Added 1 large split to the front around 10PM. 5AM this morning and I expect to get another few hours. I'll load before though to boost BTUH.

That puts it at 10+ hours and still putting out decent BTUH!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockstar1346
I used round wood "broom handles" to roll it. How do you plan to physically get it off the pallet?

On another subject. Update on burn times.. (burn time defined as time wood first lights to the time it is down to coals and still able to light a new load). I did my first load running the wood east / west (parallel to the front). I would not recommend doing this without coals burning. This morning it is still 70 - 72 in the 4500 sqft house and the plenum is very hot to touch (that's my check to see how much heat I'll get with blower running...hahaha).

I loaded with fairly large splits of oak 6+ inches. Keep in mind the furnace was hot and the house was already up to temp.
Loaded at 6PM last night. Added 1 large split to the front around 10PM. 5AM this morning and I expect to get another few hours. I'll load before though to boost BTUH.

That puts it at 10+ hours and still putting out decent BTUH!
Forgot the photo of the coals this morning.

PXL_20211213_100703594.jpg

Hey guys , how you all doing?

Just an update I got my furnace today. Ended up getting in my basement by myself, calling for some rain or snow this afternoon and -6 tonight so didn't want it setting out side. 2x4's and 2x8's and bottle of dish soap and easy peasy slid right along.

got it opened up tonight and she is a beaut, So happy so far I got this furnace, So thank you to everyone on here that took time to answer my questions and pm me greatly appreciate it otherwise I may not of bought this furnace or even found this sell for that matter.

Its going to be a bit before I get it hooked up, in the new year at some point, but looking forward to it. Only bad part is I'm probably going to have to do the first burn off in the house, How bad is it ? or do I really need to drag it outside again lol.

I have one question though after inspecting it, it is a fine furnace no question, but in the fire box , right in the center of the back their is like a tube that goes from top to bottom , well on one side of it on the top row of bricks there is about a 3/4" gap between that tube and the bricks you can seen into the back plate of the fire box, the same on the bottom but its only about a 1/2" I take it that is probably normal and nothing to worry about.

Just an update I got my furnace today. Ended up getting in my basement by myself, calling for some rain or snow this afternoon and -6 tonight so didn't want it setting out side. 2x4's and 2x8's and bottle of dish soap and easy peasy slid right along.

got it opened up tonight and she is a beaut, So happy so far I got this furnace, So thank you to everyone on here that took time to answer my questions and pm me greatly appreciate it otherwise I may not of bought this furnace or even found this sell for that matter.

Its going to be a bit before I get it hooked up, in the new year at some point, but looking forward to it. Only bad part is I'm probably going to have to do the first burn off in the house, How bad is it ? or do I really need to drag it outside again lol.

I have one question though after inspecting it, it is a fine furnace no question, but in the fire box , right in the center of the back their is like a tube that goes from top to bottom , well on one side of it on the top row of bricks there is about a 3/4" gap between that tube and the bricks you can seen into the back plate of the fire box, the same on the bottom but its only about a 1/2" I take it that is probably normal and nothing to worry about.
I wouldn't worry about having the first burn outside. I had a couple minor fires in my furnace in my driveway and there wasn't enough draft to even get the firebox very hot. I would just open a few windows, hopefully on a warmer day.

With this model there does seem to be a little more play between the fire bricks. They will also move around a little throughout the season. I have the same gaps and have not noticed any issues and I'm on my second season.

Eric

Reactions: Highbeam and NSGUY
I'm sure the bricks fit very similar to how they are in the Tundra and Caddy line...look in the back of the manual for how they fit (if any are out of place) but sounds to me like the bricks just need to be slide back to the center after it's in its permanent spot...there will end up being a void in the corner, behind the firebrick...which is fine.
Also make sure the baffle(s) above the secondary air tubes is properly in its spot too...easy to fall out during transport (or reloading sometimes) and makes a huge difference in how the fire burns!

Reactions: sleewok and NSGUY
I'm sure the bricks fit very similar to how they are in the Tundra and Caddy line...look in the back of the manual for how they fit (if any are out of place) but sounds to me like the bricks just need to be slide back to the center after it's in its permanent spot...there will end up being a void in the corner, behind the firebrick...which is fine.
Also make sure the baffle(s) above the secondary air tubes is properly in its spot too...easy to fall out during transport (or reloading sometimes) and makes a huge difference in how the fire burns!
Good call! The HC uses a 2-piece baffle which needs to be slid tight to the rear of the furnace.

Eric

Yeah I wouldn’t worry about the burn off I warned the wife about it but first few fires she didn’t even know it was running. As for the gaps I wouldn’t worry much I can’t really touch on it as I removed mine to move it down stairs then just followed the install manual at the back to put em all back in and some were kinda loose but all fit tight. The only thing I’d double check is the baffle boards at the top I had no clue they had to be at the back so mine were split down the middle instead of the front where the gap should be but I noticed after 3rd or 4th fire.

I've been having a little issue with my HC. With no heat available (light out), air shudders closed, I press the button to reload and nothing happens. I'm usually doing this with enough coals for a matchless relight. I have to unplug the furnace and plug back in, then the button works as normal. Haven't had the problem reloading when there's more heat in the firebox. Anyone else had this happen?

I've been having a little issue with my HC. With no heat available (light out), air shudders closed, I press the button to reload and nothing happens. I'm usually doing this with enough coals for a matchless relight. I have to unplug the furnace and plug back in, then the button works as normal. Haven't had the problem reloading when there's more heat in the firebox. Anyone else had this happen?
Kind of so I’ve run into this about 2 times so far and I don’t exactly know why but I think it has something to do with the thermostat being satisfied already. I’ve tossed splits in on the coals and just walked away and come back later to expect them lit but they are just smouldering with no light and clearly visible coals.

I have noticed this as well. The shudders / dampers sometimes don't do adjust for reload when the coals are low and there is no call for heat. Once I get the fire going strong again they open. At first I just assumed that it was because the dampers were already full open. However, the other day I experienced this and when got the fire going I heard the dampers adjust. Immediately I could see the increase in flame. Clearly they (the dampers) were not fully opened when I pressed the reload button and the software did not trigger it.

It sounds like a firmware issue for a scenario the programmers didn't account for.

Last edited:
I have noticed this as well. The shudders / dampers sometimes don't do adjust for reload when the coals are low and there is no call for heat. Once I get the fire going strong again they open. At first I just assumed that it was because the dampers were already full open. However, the other day I experienced this and when got the fire going I heard the dampers adjust. Immediately I could see the increase in flame. Clearly they (the dampers) were not fully opened when I pressed the reload button and the software did not trigger it.

It sounds like a firmware issue for a scenario the programmers didn't account for.
Is it something that could be solved with a simple hardware flash? I never looked at the board to see if there was a spot for usb dongle. But I know at the place I work we sell some high end height adjustable tables and they sometimes need firmware updates and you just download it to a jump drive and put it in to flash it.

What if you crank a thermostat up before you head to the furnace, to create a demand for heat? If I am reading the issue right.

Ok, I must be misunderstanding something. I read above in a couple of posts, mention of no call for heat, and also thermostat being satisfied. When this happens.

The shudders / dampers sometimes don't do adjust for reload when the coals are low and there is no call for heat.
End of the quote..."no call for heat"

Ok, I must be misunderstanding something. I read above in a couple of posts, mention of no call for heat, and also thermostat being satisfied. When this happens.
Yeah that’s when I’ve actually noticed it low coal bed no light on hit the button and nothing happened. But thermostat was satisfied the past 2 times. I’ve noticed it in the AM when loading completely cold hit the button and you can’t hear the shutters close or open so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Worked as it should, it’s not something that happens all the time it’s just an occasional thing that I’ve noticed since people have pointed it out. If you don’t hear the shutters unplugging it does fox the issue I just don’t really understand why it happens.

Reactions: trx250r87
I press the button whether theres a call for heat or not when loading. That way the shutters adjust and the blower shuts off so I can load.

Yeah that’s when I’ve actually noticed it low coal bed no light on hit the button and nothing happened. But thermostat was satisfied the past 2 times. I’ve noticed it in the AM when loading completely cold hit the button and you can’t hear the shutters close or open so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Worked as it should, it’s not something that happens all the time it’s just an occasional thing that I’ve noticed since people have pointed it out. If you don’t hear the shutters unplugging it does fox the issue I just don’t really understand why it happens.
It sounds like the air shutters were already open when you pressed the button, hence no sound. When you unplug the unit the shutters close, so when you press the button you'll hear them open again.

It sounds like the air shutters were already open when you pressed the button, hence no sound. When you unplug the unit the shutters close, so when you press the button you'll hear them open again.
I wish this were the case but I know mine has done the same about 10 times in the last year. Pressing the reload button just causes the button to flash rapidly and the dampers don't open. This makes it really difficult to start a fire when there isn't any air available. Cycling power must be enough to reset because everything will function as it should after.