New Furnace Day: Drolet Heat Commander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That would work...or you could just use 1 hose...just leave the other port open to atmosphere. The 2 hoses will easily peel apart.

Yeah, that should do the job too...
I just looked again at the ones posted on here and start at 0 .05 .10 so that is still really not the right one. i think I'll just go with mark II 25

I just looked again at the ones posted on here and start at 0 .05 .10 so that is still really not the right one. i think I'll just go with mark II 25
Yeah I noticed that the range was a bit high, but it would work...a little less range would be more ideal though.
But I can't disagree with using the 25...it does the job just fine.

If you’re looking for the Dwyer mk2 nsguy go on Amazon it is on there for 50$ plus 7$shipping I just ordered one myself. As for your other stuff I have the same chimney setup as you about 25 ft of stainless 7” Selkirk but in my basement coming off the stove it’s all 6” single wall. Last year I ran without a baro and a manometer this year I’m gunna run one and see how big the difference is.

2102DE16-9ACC-434E-8065-5BB6820F8AE3.png

Reactions: NSGUY
Thanks Rockstar after some searching I found it, I think that is in Canadian dollars do you know for sure ? also it makes note of imports duties fees but there shouldn't be any on that.
thanks for the heads up on it, i never seen that one on there.

yeah our setups are pretty close, I'm just going to run black 6" single wall to my selkirk as well. thanks for the info

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockstar1346
Thanks Rockstar after some searching I found it, I think that is in Canadian dollars do you know for sure ? also it makes note of imports duties fees but there shouldn't be any on that.
thanks for the heads on it, i never seen that one though.

yeah our setups are pretty close, I'm just going to run black 6" single wall to my selkirk as well. thanks for the info
Yupp it’s listed on Amazon.ca so it’s CAD if there is any import fees they will be minimal cause the item is so small.

Reactions: NSGUY
Hey guys I'm back again lol, question about blower filters. I had a guy tonight look at my ductwork to get the hot and cold hooked up. For the cold air return their is really 3 places to tie the cold air return into the blower, The left side which the manual shows, the right side, and it also says you can use the back of the blower.

The left looks to be the best to use as thats the blower opening
The right side is the back of the blower which means air would have to flower around the blower
The back port is basically the front of the blower

So for the existing duckwork using the back port on the blower is the best place for us to tie the cold air into because of the way the ductwork is run. My question is, is how efficient for air return is that port going to be. Both the left side and right will have filters added, as will the back port where the cold air duct is connected. but air will be drawn from the least resistant place first, So i'm thinking most air will be drawn in from the left filter side anyhow making the cold return from the upstairs not very efficient or not having much air flow through the cold air duck.

wondering if you guys have any thoughts on that , or if any of you used the back port on the blower. Thanks

Last edited:
So I think I may have misunderstood the instructions. looking at the filter instructions which ever side I use for my cold air return duct the other 2 side gets sealed off with the metal panels provided. Is that correct?

Hey guys how you all doing? well finally got the HC all hooked up and made my first fire tonight. pretty small one with just some soft wood.
So I had everything hooked up thermostat , RTD and had it plugged in, opened the door pushed the button and loaded paper and wood, while I was doing this I could hear the motor running quite a few times, I took my time so it could do it thing, then I lit the fire left the door open a bit until it got going good and shut the door. fire burnt along good I noticed the light on the door was off. after about 7-8 minutes the blower kicked in, the air coming out didn't seem to be as warm was what I thought it should be. then after that I noticed the light was flashing fast indicating fire box max temp. however I'm sure it was not at max temp. but it did close air control and die the fire down to pretty much nothing. So i'd say there is a glitch there somewhere did I do something not in step?
my thermostat was saying 68 for house temp but I turned it up to 77 to make sure it would call for heat. the thermostat is set to auto on the top setting and heat on the bottom, is that right?

what do you all think?

Hey guys how you all doing? well finally got the HC all hooked up and made my first fire tonight. pretty small one with just some soft wood.
So I had everything hooked up thermostat , RTD and had it plugged in, opened the door pushed the button and loaded paper and wood, while I was doing this I could hear the motor running quite a few times, I took my time so it could do it thing, then I lit the fire left the door open a bit until it got going good and shut the door. fire burnt along good I noticed the light on the door was off. after about 7-8 minutes the blower kicked in, the air coming out didn't seem to be as warm was what I thought it should be. then after that I noticed the light was flashing fast indicating fire box max temp. however I'm sure it was not at max temp. but it did close air control and die the fire down to pretty much nothing. So i'd say there is a glitch there somewhere did I do something not in step?
my thermostat was saying 68 for house temp but I turned it up to 77 to make sure it would call for heat. the thermostat is set to auto on the top setting and heat on the bottom, is that right?

what do you all think?
What's the build date on that unit?

Uhh...I can't remember if its on the tag with the serial number...or maybe one of the tags on the crate...

there is sticker on the blower and back of the furnace it has a date on it of 09/11/21 but it doesn't specifically say build date

what do you all think?
Did you remove any of the wiring to move the furnace into the house? If so, check to make sure everything is plugged in correctly.

I also recall SBI mentioning at one point that there were 2 different temp proves that were used and they were very different from each other. If the wrong probe was installed I'm sure it would throw the settings way off.

Another thing to try is to unplug the AC power from the wall, wait a few minutes, plug it back in and wait a few more minutes, then hit the green load button. I think if the button is pressed too soon after plugging it in, it can act a little strange.

I would call SBI tomorrow. They have fantastic tech support and I'm certain they will get things figured out.

Good luck!

Eric

there is sticker on the blower and back of the furnace it has a date on it of 09/11/21 but it doesn't specifically say build date
Right lower corner of the decal? Pretty sure that's the build date.
Get in contact with SBI tomorrow...I heard rumors that some of them got out with the thermocouples wired backwards...makes 'em act real weird...I think they got that ironed out then, but that one is old enough that it may still have been affected.

Reactions: NSGUY and trx250r87
Did you remove any of the wiring to move the furnace into the house? If so, check to make sure everything is plugged in correctly.

I also recall SBI mentioning at one point that there were 2 different temp proves that were used and they were very different from each other. If the wrong probe was installed I'm sure it would throw the settings way off.

Another thing to try is to unplug the AC power from the wall, wait a few minutes, plug it back in and wait a few more minutes, then hit the green load button. I think if the button is pressed too soon after plugging it in, it can act a little strange.

I would call SBI tomorrow. They have fantastic tech support and I'm certain they will get things figured out.

Good luck!

Eric
No I never removed any wiring at all or touched anything lol, I had a red seal electrician to make sure of my power supply, the thermostat and RTD hook up is pretty basic

I tried unplugging it waited about 5 minutes plugged it back in and after a couple second it goes to flashing light again

Yeah I'll have to call SBI

Right lower corner of the decal? Pretty sure that's the build date.
Get in contact with SBI tomorrow...I heard rumors that some of them got out with the thermocouples wired backwards...makes 'em act real weird...I think they got that ironed out then, but that one is old enough that it may still have been affected.
ok that what I posted was the build date 09/11/21 serial number is 421

ok that what I posted was the build date 09/11/21 serial number is 421
My sister has #414, built just a few days earlier, IIRC.

What's the word @NSGUY ?
I was on the phone with SBI first thing,, super nice guys can't ask for better people. Honestly not sure, it could be something very simple or not, At this point i'd just be speculation on what I think. so I might as well make sure I know first and then I'll post. But I will say this I have no worries about SBI getting the problem correct if there is one. I can say the thermocouples were not wired backwards or connected to the wrong port on the board

Reactions: sloeffle