New Guy Checking In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

My name's Michael, and I'm from Wilmington, NC, USA. After inheriting a large amount of free firewood, I've decided that next winter I'll start heating with wood as much as possible. Toward that end, I'm starting the preparations now.

I'm not entirely new to wood heating, but this is the first time I'll be doing in it a home of my own. I'll have to get a stove installed, split and cure the wood, find more wood, assemble wood tools, and a dozen other things. As you might suspect, I'll probably have many questions along the way.

I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.

PS: Why yes, I do own and use an X27. Why do you ask?

If your going to start heating with wood next year better started splitting and stacking in the sun and wind. New EPA stoves only like 2 to 3 year old seasoned wood

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
welcome - lots of great info here and better people!!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

If your going to start heating with wood next year better started splitting and stacking in the sun and wind. New EPA stoves only like 2 to 3 year old seasoned wood

I'm splitting and stacking like it's my job, and I'm counting on a hot NC summer and our coastal non-stop wind to do the rest.

I'm also considering buying an older stove and having that installed. I'm sure I'll be seeking advice on that when the time comes.

Welcome to the forum Cymro.

Indeed in your area the wood should dry quicker than it does further north. Still, it pays great dividends to have your wood split and stacked 2-3 years before you need it.

Good luck with your new stove and that indeed is great to inherit some wood that is already cut. Is it split and stacked yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.