New guy, gas valve In firebox?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CaptainWacky

Nov 7, 2018
Omaha
Greetings from the Midwest!

New to forum, and looking for some guidance/advice. I have a wood fireplace in my basement I’d like to burn wood in (go figure). It’s a full brick fireplace with a flue and brick chimney all the way up to the roof, however there is a gas valve located inside the fire box (see photo arrow 1) with a key that says “blue flame log lighter” however pipe runs to a log rack containing ceramic logs, so my assumption is this was being used as a gas fireplace at some point?

I assume it was originally wood burning, with a gas log lighter, but this gas insert they put in here to me doesn’t seem safe or to code. My question is, to burn wood can I simply cap gas line in the firebox and start burning wood? And if so is it safe to cap the line at arrow #2 or arrow #3? Frankly the fitting closest to the valve looks so crusty, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to break it loose. Might seem like a newbie question just want to be safe. Is it safe to have a wood fire that close to gas valve? Would you guys recommend reinstalling a log lighter? Honestly the whole idea of using a gas log lighter seems dangerous to me, have gas that close to glowing coals, but I could just be paranoid.

I really appreciate any feedback anyone has, thank you!

Attachments

• BB0B0C2D-8276-4572-A4E1-643466F26FEE.jpeg
    BB0B0C2D-8276-4572-A4E1-643466F26FEE.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 1,215
  • 350BF034-9575-480E-8AE6-E3DE8E563EFE.jpeg
    350BF034-9575-480E-8AE6-E3DE8E563EFE.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 357
  • C501CE15-E665-400E-B787-843C6B291779.jpeg
    C501CE15-E665-400E-B787-843C6B291779.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 300
It looks to me that the log lighter was modified to burn a gas log set, not an insert.
If it was MY home, I would locate the source of the gas to this particular line,
& shut it off or cap it at THAT point. Then I'd remove as much of the gas line in the firebox
as possible. Patch all holes with refractory cement & THEN start to burn wood...
Depending on how tall the house is, a wood burning fireplace in the basement may be
a problem with smoke blow back due to a bad draft, but you won't know til you try it.

That looks like a zero clearance fireplace that has been messed with quite a bit by people that didnt know what they were doing. I would have the whole thing inspected by a pro before doing anything.