New guy here in New York with P43 saying thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinny

Burning Hunk
Jan 1, 2014
Cuddebackville, NY
Been lurking for awhile trying to learn as much as I could.
Wife and I decided to get a pellet stove to reduce our LP cost.
We live on the back side of a mountain here in New York in a 2100 sq. ft. open floor plan cape chalet, cathedral ceiling in family room, 1300 sq. ft. downstairs and a 800 sq. ft. master bedroom and bath upstairs.
I was going to buy a quad 1200, until I saw a Harman run at a local dealers shop.
I really liked the real wood stove look, simplicity of the cleaning and maintenance of the Harman.
I go to the Adirondacks snowmobiling for 3 or 4 days at a time and wife has to stay home as my Mom has Alzheimer's and we moved her in with us, and needs constant care so I wanted something that she could deal with.
I decided on the P43 after reading for a week straight on this forum, and found one for 2400 at a local dealer.
I went with the excel pellet vent and thimble.
My cousin came up last night to help me get it into the house. I did the install myself today and took about 3 hours. I went with a corner install. Stove adapter, 1' length, 45. 3' length through thimble(need to replace it with a 2'), to the fancy 45 degree nozzle. Hooked up my Cyberpower 825VA/450W battery backup.
This stove is amazing!!!
Put the fire brick and flame guide in, hooked up the temp probe, filled it with pellets, set the feed to 4 as recommended here, set it on test to prime the auger, crossed my fingers and flipped the switch to automatic and it started itself up!!!
It's been running since 3 pm wednesday, and this darn thing is heating the WHOLE HOUSE!!!
We are amazed to say the least!!!
I've got it running on room temp, manual and it works flawless!
It's 9 degrees out, snowing heavy, wind blowing, and it's 74 in the house, with the stove in low burn!!!
I'm stoked to say the least.

I just wanted to say thanks to the members for the awesome information I've got from you guys.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

here's a link to more pics. http://www.pbase.com/champ3jd/harman_p43_pellet_stove_install&page=all
Again, thanks for the great info!!!

Last edited:
Great stove. Good luck with it. What brand of pellets you burning?

Great stove. Good luck with it. What brand of pellets you burning?

Well, I started with Tractor Supply Premium. They were the only one's I had time to get on th 31st.
They seem to burn real good, good heat and not much ash.
I was in Home Cheapo today and they had Stove Chow, Green Supreme, Lignetics, and American Wood and Fiber, so I picked up 2 bags each of them to try.
Interested in a wireless thermostat now. This is like my snowmobiles, very addictive ::F

Well, I started with Tractor Supply Premium. They were the only one's I had time to get on th 31st.
I was in Home Cheapo today and they had Stove Chow, Green Supreme, Lignetics, and American Wood and Fiber, so I picked up 2 bags each of them to try.
Interested in a wireless thermostat now. This is like my snowmobiles, very addictive ::F
Addictive? It's the worst. You'll be constantly looking for the "perfect" pellet. I think the chow will be the best of the bunch for you.

Addictive? It's the worst. You'll be constantly looking for the "perfect" pellet. I think the chow will be the best of the bunch for you.

You think?
They only get 209 pr ton, that would be nice

209.00 is good price.
Stove Chows here outside phila are 229.00 ton at HD..
They give great heat and not pricey. burned as good as Premium priced Energex of which I got a free ton... I burned 8 bags of SC and decided they we're pretty good so ordered a ton from HD. No hard clinkers to scrape which I did have with the Energexs..SC are whitewoods, whatever that means.. either means no bark or a softwood but balls out Hot!!!!
HarmanP61A.. btw: Energex re-bags, or distributes the Chows..same pellets looks like..

You think?
They only get 209 pr ton, that would be nice
Yeah. Stove chow is solid. Green supremes are junk. When you say lignetics, I'm assuming presto logs - they're good. The awf is ok. The chow is good. Lowes carries it too - bagged as nature's own.

Keep an eye out for somersets. Lowes carries them every once in a while. Give them a shot. Beauty of the p43 is that it will burn anything. The better the pellet, the less you'll have to clean the stove.

209.00 is good price.
Stove Chows here outside phila are 229.00 ton at HD..
They give great heat and not pricey. burned as good as Premium priced Energex of which I got a free ton... I burned 8 bags of SC and decided they we're pretty good so ordered a ton from HD. No hard clinkers to scrape which I did have with the Energexs..SC are whitewoods, whatever that means.. either means no bark or a softwood but balls out Hot!!!!
HarmanP61A..

That's cool.
I've only burned 2 bags of Tractor Supply so far, only got it running around 3 yesterday afternoon, but they seem to be real clean, and hot, hardly any ash. Again, I'm talking with zero experience

Keep an eye out for somersets. Lowes carries them every once in a while. Give them a shot. Beauty of the p43 is that it will burn anything. The better the pellet, the less you'll have to clean the stove.
Surprised the Chows are cheaper in New York State. good for you..
yes, Somersets are another I keep my eye on..
Just put 5 skids on blocks in my basement so ready for 5 or more tons in the spring sales.
my needs will be 3 ton total for Nov thru March 31..

Yeah. Stove chow is solid. Green supremes are junk. When you say lignetics, I'm assuming presto logs - they're good. The awf is ok. The chow is good. Lowes carries it too - bagged as nature's own.

Green Supreme is garbage huh, think I should mix it with one of the better brands to get rid of it?
I've heard the Harman P's will burn anything. I'm amazed there's hardly any ash at all, again, it's just been started.
House is super warm, and it's 9 outside right now, stoves just idling. Room temp, manual

Green Supreme is garbage huh, think I should mix it with one of the better brands to get rid of it?
I've heard the Harman P's will burn anything. I'm amazed there's hardly any ash at all, again, it's just been started.
House is super warm, and it's 9 outside right now, stoves just idling. Room temp, manual
burn 'em all. see how each new brand compares to the previous one you've burned.

Surprised the Chows are cheaper in New York State. good for you..
yes, Somersets are another I keep my eye on..
Just put 5 skids on blocks in my basement so ready for 5 or more tons in the spring sales.
my needs will be 3 ton total for Nov thru March 31..

I hope they're the right chows, haha.
Wish I posted this last night like I was planning on, instead of messing with the stove all night.
I would have grabbed more chows

the chows have been plentiful the last couple of winters. should be no problem.

I have not heard raves about Green Supremes but ya know what I have found out here?
when someone gives a thumbs up on a brand that many call fair to garbage, it's usually a Harman stove owner...[Although some cheap pellets look like a jumbled mess of multiple sizes and lot's of dust/dirt so most won't even try them which is smart.] like cheap lookin Dog food.
My P61A will burn corn also but that; prob good if you live in midwest I Guess..
btw: wife went to start up the stove 6 this morning, and 15 minutes went by and nothing..no pellet load or ignition....
called me about it.. I asked her if the toggle switch [what's a toggle switch she sez? ] was on manual..won't load or ignite on manual setting.
sure nuff it was..told her to check next time before givin me a stroke cause this stove is ony 7 weeks old..

Last edited:
The P43 is a great stove. I can burn close to a ton of Somersets without having to empty the ash pan. Usually never go that long...but its possible.

Reactions: jack kunicki
The P43 is a great stove. I can burn close to a ton of Somersets without having to empty the ash pan. Usually never go that long...but its possible.
Agree. I'm emptying after 25 bags but that's with the prestos. The better stuff is definitely less ashy.

I have not heard raves about Green Supremes but ya know what I have found out here?
when someone gives a thumbs up on a brand that many call fair to garbage, it's usually a Harman stove owner...[Although some cheap pellets look like a jumbled mess of multiple sizes and lot's of dust/dirt so most won't even try them which is smart.] like cheap lookin Dog food.
My P61A will burn corn also but that; prob good if you live in midwest I Guess..
btw: wife went to start up the stove 6 this morning, and 15 minutes went by and nothing..no pellet load or ignition....
called me about it.. I asked her if the toggle switch [what's a toggle switch she sez? ] was on manual..won't load or ignite on manual setting.
sure nuff it was..told her to check next time before givin me a stroke cause this stove is ony 7 weeks old..

Hmmm, sounds like something my wife would do, wonder if they're related :)
Dealer up here told me the Harmans would burn just about anything, and burn it good, I figured he as just giving me a sales line, but after reading here, I guess it's true.

Agree. I'm emptying after 25 bags but that's with the prestos. The better stuff is definitely less ashy.

That's awesome! Guess I made the right choice.
A friend bought a Lopi AGP and he's in it cleaning and vacuuming every day

Congrats on the new stove. Great choice. Nice install. Love that pooch!

Congrats on the new stove. Great choice. Nice install. Love that pooch!

Thanks man.
I'm definitely no carpenter. When started measuring, wifey was ok, when she saw me walk in with the sawzall, she got in her car and left, haha

That's my Velcro dog, she sticks to me like Velcro

Congrats on the install and welcome to the forum! I see you like "little dogs" too;) My Velcro dog is a german shepherd.

Find the pellet that is the best burning at your price range and stock up.

Congrats on the install and welcome to the forum! I see you like "little dogs" too;) My Velcro dog is a german shepherd.

Find the pellet that is the best burning at your price range and stock up.

Thank you, and thank you.
I hope to just buy local so hope one of these brands will burn nice and clean for me.
How's the weather up there in god's country?
Like your avatar by the way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.