New guy questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That should be ok for a straight-up install unless this is at a high altitude which is not likely in Dallas.
No. We're 500 feet over sea level and it would be straight up. I checked manual and it shows 15' minimum from floor to top of chimney. We'd be well past that - my 15' was from the top of the stove. I think I'm ok to get the Pleasant Hearth.

One of the things I keep seeing in reviews is that you gotta build a big fire first with the door open and then you shut it. I knew there would be a damper to build up heat and draft but do you have to leave the door open with other furnaces to build a fire first? Is this normal with the efficient designs in modern times or is that unique to Pleasant Hearth?

No. We're 500 feet over sea level and it would be straight up. I checked manual and it shows 15' minimum from floor to top of chimney. We'd be well past that - my 15' was from the top of the stove. I think I'm ok to get the Pleasant Hearth.

One of the things I keep seeing in reviews is that you gotta build a big fire first with the door open and then you shut it. I knew there would be a damper to build up heat and draft but do you have to leave the door open with other furnaces to build a fire first? Is this normal with the efficient designs in modern times or is that unique to Pleasant Hearth?
You may need to leave the door cracked to help get things going. You may not it depends on your draft your wood etc.

Reactions: patriot07