New Harman owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KNelson

Sep 26, 2016
SK
I took the plunge and have been running a Harman PC45 since Christmas. She a bit on the older side but the price was right!

One thing I was thinking is that it would nice to add is a little light on the control pad so when you open it up you could see the dials better and shut off when it's closed. Other than that it's been clear sailing so far.

It didn't come with the pointy cleaner tool, just wondering if it's worth buying one? I've been using the old brush technique but you get pretty ashy doing that. Any tips?

In places like that, I just hang a small LED flashlight nearby. Not as handy as an automatic light, but lots easier to implement.

I have a battery operated LED closet light mounted adjacent to the control panel. They're made for closets and drawers with a proximity magnet switch. I found it in my local hardware store. I keep a flashlight handy too.

Reactions: KNelson and Advisor
No point in getting the pointy thing if you have a brush that you can remove fly ash from the upper baffles with. You still get ashy using the tool provided; even though I have 2 of those, I still use a brush. Plus, a hefty screwdriver to (or some other tool) to scrape off any "speed bumps" that develop in the pot and you're good to go.

The 'pointy thing' really makes an annoying lot of noise...
Brush is good... the stuff up there is not 'stuck' like carbon... it's loose stuff.
I have thought about making that 'triangle' out of rubber/plastic a tad bigger than
the Harman tool, and gluing it to the tool, just to get rid of that noisy aspect..
But I probly won't!

Dan

IMO the pointy Harman tool is a waste of time Fischer Price toy. I scrape my pot with a pry bar I bought at Harbor Freight cheap. They can be had anywhere cheap. It is like a big long screw driver with a hooked / bent end and it works way better than the Harman toy.

The PC 45s are great stoves and you'll be just fine with it. Brushes and putty knives work good for cleaning the ash. Use the search bar and plug in cleaning tools above. Plenty of info and good ideas.

I like the idea of just keeping a cheap led light near the stove as I have this trouble too wanting to see the panel in the dark.

Reactions: KNelson and bags
If you're going to clean the inside heat exchanger surfaces while the stove is running and hot you need the Harman tool. Normal brushes will melt, or brass brushes with plastic handles will melt.

Since I burn corn I tend to get more ash up there, and during a week's burning I will clean it every other day, or every 3 days at most.

I also bought a pry bar from harbor freight and it works great. The angle is perfect for scraping the pot out! I just use the Harman tool for pulling out the ash or pushing the pellets to the back (I'm allergic to the pellets..)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: TStark and bogieb
IMO the pointy Harman tool is a waste of time Fischer Price toy. I scrape my pot with a pry bar I bought at Harbor Freight cheap.
Must have something to do with settings and fuel.
I have never needed a pry bar to do mine...
The biggest improvement you can make to the included scraper
is to take off the sharp edges where you hold it..
just makes it feel a lot better.
If you give your pot a little scrape every time you put pellets in the hopper,
I don't think there is a problem.. I know it's easy to say "I'll get it next time"
But doing that once a day seems to help immensely...

Dan

I use one of those steel scrubie pads that they use on stainless steel appliances for the exchanger..
removes any residue real quick.

Reactions: KNelson
As most others have said, I never use the Harmon tool, just a brush and bent screw driver or pry bar. To keep the dust down I always turn on my shop vac (with an upgraded fine particle filter) and put the hose inside the stove so all the ash dust gets sucked in. The stove needs to be shut down at the time though.

As most others have said, I never use the Harmon tool, just a brush and bent screw driver or pry bar. To keep the dust down I always turn on my shop vac (with an upgraded fine particle filter) and put the hose inside the stove so all the ash dust gets sucked in. The stove needs to be shut down at the time though.
that works or,
you can put it on test which will run the exhaust fan the whole time which is what I do and leaves both hands free.>>

Must have something to do with settings and fuel.
I have never needed a pry bar to do mine...
The biggest improvement you can make to the included scraper
is to take off the sharp edges where you hold it..
just makes it feel a lot better.
If you give your pot a little scrape every time you put pellets in the hopper,
I don't think there is a problem.. I know it's easy to say "I'll get it next time"
But doing that once a day seems to help immensely...

Dan

Burning hardwood pellets I get some carbon build up from time to time. The bar I have is great for that caked on stuck stuff but normally just a quick run thru the hot pellets and a quick ash pull does the trick. I think the OP was referring to a real clean and scraping the pot. I sometimes use the pointed end of the toy tool to do quick scrapes on the baffles but one could get by without that thing and use other stuff for like results.

Reactions: KNelson
Only time I have issues with the burn tray was with some first gen Indeck pellets and they were also responsible for carbon on the auger causing it to squeal. Have a spare burn tray but have not needed it as I can give it a couple raps with whatever hard tool is available to clear the holes but is nice to take it completely out and exchange with a cleaned and graphited tray. Principle tool for cleaning is a long handled milker inflator cleaning brush from farm store.

I have a battery operated LED closet light mounted adjacent to the control panel. They're made for closets and drawers with a proximity magnet switch. I found it in my local hardware store. I keep a flashlight handy too.
Oh cool, I'll have to check for that on my next trip to the store. Thanks!

Thanks for the great tips everyone, now I wanna give the stove a wicked good cleaning just for fun!

Gotta say this Harman really belts out the heat, anyone ever melted an article of clothing on the side of the stove? This may have just happened to my wife while she was wearing her favourite sweater...

Last edited:
Reactions: Harmanizer
More than one bun warming incident :)

Reactions: bogieb and KNelson
The 'pointy thing' really makes an annoying lot of noise...
Brush is good... the stuff up there is not 'stuck' like carbon... it's loose stuff.
I have thought about making that 'triangle' out of rubber/plastic a tad bigger than
the Harman tool, and gluing it to the tool, just to get rid of that noisy aspect..
But I probly won't!

Dan
I actually did get around to doing this... (the soft edge on the pointy thing).
Wow... what a difference in noise... the nails on the chalkboard are gone!

Dan

Reactions: bogieb