New Harman P68 Owner with Questions/Observations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bruins4877

Nov 25, 2012
Hampstead, NH
Hello all, I am in need of some assistance. I am a former St. Croix Prescott owner who has upgraded to the Harman P68 since I will be adding an addition onto my house this summer. I needed the higher BTU’s once the project is complete. The St. Croix was just not going to cut it. I was able to buy it this year since the shop I go to knew I was in the market and they were liquidating some inventory at the end of the year.

I knew my St. Croix inside and out due to those on this site who were able to post service manuals, it appears that is not an option on the Harman stoves however. I would like to know from P68 users some of the information below from my observations over the last 2 months. I have attempted to search the forums before posting.

1. Ash buildup in the burn pot – How long before you see the burn pot completely covered in ash? I’m sure due to the brand of pellets used, etc it will vary. I am just trying to see what others might see. I am using LG Premiums and see quite a bit of ash buildup after a few hours to the point where the flames bend towards the glass and get tall. They don’t get lazy, they just appear taller than when the pot is clean. I do scrape the pot twice a day to keep this from happening. I am used to the short, sharp flames of the St. Croix due to the versa grate constantly scraping the burn pot.

2. Beyond the normal fly ash, do you normally see chunks of burning pellets fly out of the burn pot? I thought this might have been due to too much air coming in the outside air tube, but I disconnected it this morning to see the same phenomenon. It is not all pellets, I just notice that 3-5 pellets will jump/fly out after new pellets are pushed into the pot. Some of these do fly into the ash pan. They appear to be burned for the most part, but again, just an observation.

3. Is it normal to hear a clanking/clunking noise from the auger every once and awhile? I know longer pellets would cause the St. Croix to clunk from time to time, but this noise is very different (different auger setup which is most likely the reason). Of course, I can never catch it on video to see what is happening or be able to show my dealer. This isn’t something that has shown up over time, this was from the get go. The dealer said they did the 4-6 hour burn on the stove prior to me picking it up, and I would have figured that they would have heard this noise. Again, just curious.

I’m sure I will have more questions as I get to better know the stove. So far, I am VERY impressed with the heat being thrown out. I haven’t had to have it above 4 on stove temp. I’m sure once I have more square footage to heat next winter that will change.

Sorry for the wall of text but any responses will be very much appreciated!

Some pellets will tend to clog the burn pot more than others.I burn Lacrete softwood pellets and don't have that problem.Small chunks do escape the burn pot but I think that is normal.The clunking noise is usually a long pellet getting stuck and I agree it can be annoying.If you hear a lot of clunking you might want to clean out the fines box that is attached to the feeder weldment.Good luck.

Thanks for the response Harmanizer. I usually burn Lacretes, but my trailer was buried and couldn't make it to my normal pellet supplier. LG's put out good heat, but wow a lot of ash. I was going to check the fines box today.

Reactions: Harmanizer
It is normal to hear the auger clunk every once in a while if it comes up against longer pellets. I never notice big chunks of lit pellets flying up, just fly ash. If it is really clean below the pot it might do it as you don't have any restrictions in air flow. Ash filling up the burn pot will vary on quality of pellets. After around 4 hours on Lignetics I see ash starting to overspill the edge into the pan. This really depends on settings as well. Fast and furious then it will be sooner. Enjoy your P68.

Soft Pellets don't hurt your auger. Harder pellets like the LGs make some more noise as they sometime get squeezed by auger.

My Harman can go a couple days before I clear off the mustache dust on the edge of the burn pot when the flame gets weird. I burn 3 tons a year of softwood Pacific clean fire pellets and I empty ash pan 4 times a year. LGs I burned a few years ago I believe I empty ash pan either 5 or 6 times. for 3 tons of pellets. I believe your ash pan is larger than my Harman Advanced stove.

Good luck with your new Harman.

signed I like room temp

If you have whole pellets lifting off and flying off the burn pot it sounds like you need the draft setting turned down just a little bit for that brand pellet. But I'd wait and see what the La Ctretes do, they might not fly like that. Burning pellets should be kind of dancing in the pot. You will see sparklers going off though, this is tiny pieces of glowing pellets/ash, that's normal. It can also be burning fines lifting off, again normal.

The clunking is pellets breaking, another brand probably won't do that. I thought LG's were fairly short though but it's been a couple of years since I burned those. LG's are ok but they are not my favorite pellet. Around here I have to pay a premium price for those and I personally don't think they are any better than FSU from HD and FSU don't clunk. La Crete is pretty good but nobody handles those around here anymore. I tend to burn FSU for less money and just scrape the pot as needed, it takes about 15 seconds, so that is maybe 1-1/2 minutes shot out of 24 hours at most. In warmer lower pellet use weather it's less than that. I feel I get better heat from the stove by keeping the pot clear of ash. Pure white pines leave basically no ash and DF very minimal ash fwiw. Hardwood will fill up 3" deep.

In terms of self clearing capability I'm not a fan of the Harman burn pot design. On the other hand, in terms of capability to burn any crap pellet on the market I am a fan. Many stoves would choke on some of the damaged pellets I have fed this P61 and it never hick upped.

other than whole pellets flying around, the fireworks display in your burnpot is normal.
called fly ash...
sounds like your P68 is running normal including
clunking sound due to occasional longish pellets and ash buildup...[all due to certain brand pellets.]
never heard the crunch sound again after I switched to all Softwoods..

Last edited:
I have never seen whole pellets fly out of my burn pot. Sparks and small pieces sometimes and fly ash embers etc; I burn Somersets mainly. Noises and pellets jingling are normal. After awhile you will not pay attention to any of it.

You may hear a pretty loud chomping pop here or there. It happens when the slide gate chops a pellet in half. That can be pretty loud.

As for the P68 being able to heat it does that well. Both with the room blower and also a lot of heat radiates off of the stove body much like a wood burning stove. I'm doing right at 2,400 SQ FT on two levels here with one P68.

You may get a lot more ash, dirty glass, when you are on a low setting.
Especially with cheaper pellets..
Right now, I get more than in the winter when the stove is running hotter.
Hot stove = Happy stove...
The P68 likes to work...

Dan.

Reactions: bags and Tonyray
The P68 likes to work...

Dan.
correct......i burn good super low ash softwoods and on the on/off/on shoulder days of using room/auto,
i get a bit more ash and glass gets dirty sooner.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
correct......i burn good super low ash softwoods and on the on/off/on shoulder days of using room/auto,
i get a bit more ash and glass gets dirty sooner.
btw
The P68 likes to work...

Dan.
btw Pete,
don't forget i want your forum name here if you ever bail...even if i have to add a "2" after it.>>>>

Reactions: Pete Zahria